Garden Floodlight Install - Where To Get Power From? [Pics]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to install garden floodlight:

http://www.lyco.co.uk/luceco-slimli...visibility=2&gclid=CKfb3_XC2cwCFUko0wodr74Clw

Getting power is not too easy... no sockets on this wall upstairs or downstairs so can only use lighting circuit. Thinking about running straight from the kitchen light (closest one I got). I will cut out a hole inside the cupboard ceiling and work from there (junction box)... but how the heck do I run a cable from the kitchen light to the cupboard without ruining the ceiling?

so4dq9.jpg

121bznp.jpg

95od3n.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nice choice of floodlight, if it's already got flex on it (which, from memory, those lyco ones do) you will need an IP adaptable box/junction box to join the cable if the existing flex is not long enough to reach your internal JB.

The only real choice is to start lifting floorboards upstairs and drilling joists/feeding the cable through existing holes.

Nice choice of floodlight
It's a horrible way to light a garden though - an intense beam of light which will blind anybody who looks towards the house and will cast really strong shadows.

Much gentler lighting around the perimeter would surely be better?

It undoubtedly would, and would be my choice. BUT, a lot more work to install (properly)

Sponsored Links
In the first picture there is a walk-in cupboard, by the looks of it.

Can you get power from here?

Don't forget you can feed lights from a socket circuit, via a 3 amp (for example) fused spur unit.

And the cupboard can be used to hide much of the wiring.

Just seen the bit about no nearby sockets.

How about fishing supply cable from kitchen light above the ceiling in the same direction as the joists to the wall where the wall-mounted cabinets are.

Short piece of vertical trunking between ceiling and top of wall cabinets.

Then into the cupboard with surface mounted wiring or trunking.

It undoubtedly would, and would be my choice. BUT, a lot more work to install (properly)
Yup.

As with many things, you can do a quick, dirty, nasty little job and end up with dirty, nasty results which make your heart sink every time you see/consider them.

Or you can do it properly.

How about fishing supply cable from kitchen light above the ceiling in the same direction as the joists to the wall where the wall-mounted cabinets are.

Short piece of vertical trunking between ceiling and top of wall cabinets.

Then into the cupboard with surface mounted wiring or trunking.

Sounds good but how do I fish the cable in the first place? Should I buy one of those special fishing sets that screw into each other or are there better ways?

I think if I'm gonna take the cable out into some trunking hoping the wall units will hide it I can instead play around with the idea of chopping a long rectangular piece of ceiling off at the same position, and drilling the cable through the joists until I get to the cupboard. Do you think I can re-fix this rectangular piece back with it looking good?

Nice choice of floodlight
It's a horrible way to light a garden though - an intense beam of light which will blind anybody who looks towards the house and will cast really strong shadows.

Much gentler lighting around the perimeter would surely be better?

The property is going to be sold soon, i don't think special garden lighting will increase its market value - not even the one I want to install. I just want it there cos it's cheap and useful.

You get a 3m length of small (10mm?) oval conduit. Thread a draw wire such as string, thin electrical wire, earth sleeving etc through it. Push this
conduit into the ceiling void and push until it is level with the wall. Pull back an inch. Push more draw wire into conduit. Make hole in ceiling near wall. Fish and then pull out draw wire with a bit of wire coat hanger or similar. Pull out plenty of draw wire, and pull out conduit - so draw wire is fully in place. Tie cable to draw wire, and draw in new cable.

All sound advice, but I would remove earth sleeving from the recommended list of things to use as a draw wire. Way too easy to snap.

Should I buy one of those special fishing sets that screw into each other or are there better ways?
I believe that the lids from mini-trunking work well.

I think if I'm gonna take the cable out into some trunking hoping the wall units will hide it I can instead play around with the idea of chopping a long rectangular piece of ceiling off at the same position, and drilling the cable through the joists until I get to the cupboard.
Bear in mind that you may not drill into joists closer to the wall than 0.25x their span.

notch-hole-rules.jpg

Do you think I can re-fix this rectangular piece back with it looking good?
The "Artex-y" coating is your friend here, but ultimately only you know what your skills are in this area.

Thanks for the fishing tip. Received the light. It's very well built, heavy and bright (I blinded myself twice already looking at it). But I realised it doesn't have a pivot so will have to be mounted on the middle of the house rather than over to the side:

j7pzs6.jpg

Bear in mind that you may not drill into joists closer to the wall than 0.25x their span.

What about small (5mm deep) notches at the bottom of the joists just above the plasterboard? Shouldn't impact strength too much.

notches at the bottom of the joists just above the plasterboard?

Not good. A notch on the bottom of a joist weakens a joist much more than the same sized notch in the top. ( bottom of the joist is under tension, top is under compression at it tries to bend under load ) Also one does not expect to find cables trapped between joist and ceiling plaster board when drilling holes in the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back