Garden Floodlight Install - Where To Get Power From? [Pics]

Sponsored Links
The "Artex-y" coating is your friend here, but ultimately only you know what your skills are in this area.

This looks easy!

I gotta question about the ceiling... I think I'm gonna cut a rectangle from the current light all the way to the external wall then drill through the joists (just had this thought today and seems easier). But after I re-attach it with plasterboard screws, can I just fill the bit I cut with plaster/filler? Or do I need to use that special plasterboard jointing tape then re-artex? Will it lead to future cracks if I just use filler where I cut?

You could cut a section from one end to the other and drill the joists, but you'll probably find that section won't all come out in one piece, depending on how it's fixed to the ceiling - you probably won't be able to find all the screws/nails. And that's assuming it's only a single skin of plasterboard. If it's been overboarded you can forget it.

You would ideally use tape, but as you've got artex, there wouldn't really be anywhere to stick the tape too. You'd need to sand it back to smooth and then fill over and re-artex over it - not impossible but more work.

Did you miss my recommendation to take floorboards up in the room above? Or is that not an option? Literally the only making good would be screwing boards back down and re-fitting the carpet

Did you miss my recommendation to take floorboards up in the room above? Or is that not an option? Literally the only making good would be screwing boards back down and re-fitting the carpet

Sorry the rooms above are bathroom and toilet (separate). Directly above the light is the corridor at the top of the stairs which is carpeted, but further closer to the external wall is the toilet room which has wood effect vinyl flooring, and the bathroom has glued laminate. The other room which shares the external wall has laminate also.

So I can get above the light if I pull out the carpet and a couple floor boards... but then I will only be able to drill through one or maybe two joists before I reach the toilet and have to go the ceiling way.

Sponsored Links
Ok that makes sense then. A big ladder and bring the cable down in some conduit from the loft?

If it's anything like most houses, you wouldn't even need to make any holes, just poke it out of one of the existing holes under the eaves (y)

If you're selling soon, it's not gonna be the end of the world if there's a conduit drop on the outside of your house. Just make sure it's straight!

It undoubtedly would, and would be my choice. BUT, a lot more work to install (properly)
Yup.

As with many things, you can do a quick, dirty, nasty little job and end up with dirty, nasty results which make your heart sink every time you see/consider them.

Or you can do it properly.
Christ, you're such a drama Queen!

You're acting as if he's stringing up a few lampholders on bellwire.

He's doing the job with good quality materials, just not ones that meet your approval.

Last edited:
If you wanted to go the internal route, use some rods to get the cable down the side of the joist that the fitting is screwed to, fishing it out via a hole at the end over the wall units.

Then careful use of trunking across to the store room then you can (as has been said) conceal the wiring in there, drilling through for the switch wire and switched feed.

As for mounting the fitting, use a bracket similar to this one which will allow you to fit the flood to the wall, but swivel it. There are basic L-shaped ones that will allow the fitting to be positioned at 90 degrees to the wall it is mounted to.
http://www.lyonlighting.com/krp1.html

Is FP cable suitable for outdoor use? A lot of the stuff I've come across outside has gone hard and brittle if it's been exposed to direct sunlight.

I'd rather a black conduit drop than white FP clipped to the outside of my house.

It's not like black FP is available off the shelf (and seemingly with some manufacturers, white is the only colour of FP recommended for outside use)

And in many cases I think looks more professional than conduit.

If you say so.

screenshot_935.jpg

Of course conduit can be very professional - I've done a bit myself - but with all due respect to the op, I suspect s/he just may not have access to a pipe-vise/bender and a set of stocks and dies, and the expertise to carry out the job in BAS's rather nice picture.

I could be completely wrong ... but probably not.

... nice picture though, but what's going on with that box, piggy-backed on another? Looks like some sort of after-thought.:unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back