Garden Gate Challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm quite new to fencing and I'm looking for some advice on the best way to put a garden gate in this location. The raised bed on the right is making things a bit complicated and I want to know what would be the easiest and most durable solution.

I'm going to have to secure a post to the brick wall and a post to the existing fence and from what I can see I have 2 options:
- Option 1: Put a post on the inside of the small brick wall, dig a 50-60cm hole and use postmix to secure it. There would have to be an additional shorter post over the existing brick wall
- Option 2: Put a post to the outside of the brick wall and secure it to the brick

In the picture, the posts are in red and the fencing is in orange. I'm after some advice on which is the better option or if there is another, better way I'm not seeing (probably is one). The raised bed is 60cm high and the gate will be 150cm high (from the ground)

Thank you!

Gate Options.png

Sponsored Links
I would think if the wall is solid it should be ok with the bolts - you could always do one and two, having it bolted on the other side and the postcrete around it.

Have you thought about making that fence higher, you’re not going to get much security from it?

Sponsored Links
Hinges going on the house wall side yes?
Great point - thank you. With the hinges on the house wall side, there won't be that much pressure on the other side so could probably do with just attaching to the brick. As for the length, I would probably be using 150cm boards but leave 10cm gap underneath so my tenants' cat can go in and out. I fear with anything higher it would be difficult to lock / unlock the latch - unless there is another way...

What is underneath the raised bed?
You could dig in the raised bed, and postcrete a concrete spur into the ground.
Then bolt a wooden gatepost to the spur, rising from the wall.
Fix the pathway gate in the normal way.
On the bed side, if necessary, add another piece of timber to pack out above the spur.
Then insert some fence material over the bed.

Option two- buy TWO gates. Fix a post to the house, hang a gate to fill the path.
Postcrete a second post next to the fence and attach the second gate that can swing back parallel with the fence. Where the gates meet, add a filling piece to the "fence gate" and then drill a hole in the top of the wall to accept a gate bottom bolt.
You will have a wide side access if needed, but normally just on the path

If you have a full-height post, you can brace it to the post on the house with a "lintel". This will greatly increase rigidity and strength.

a concrete spur in the raised bed will allow you to have another full-height post next to the fence, and a lintel across all three posts will be better still. It will also enable you to have a full-height security barrier should you ever wish it. Concrete posts are great because they don't go rotten and give you the awful job of digging them out.

On my sideway, I had a lift-out post in the centre to enable large things to carry through (before I built the shed)

Hi all - thanks a lot for all of the useful responses - it is greatly appreciated and thought I would post an update.

I went with option 2 and wanted to insert the post into the ground for extra strength but what I thought would be 1-2 inches of concrete on the ground ended up being 10 inches! With the absence of proper power tools it was a bit challenging to do a big enough hole to secure the post with postcrete so opted for a very small hole and a post spike. I still used postcrete to further secure the spike post within the hole in the concrete which was about 3 x 3 inches. Finally I also secured the post to the wall with a 120mm concrete bolt.

I've included an image of the end result - thanks again to everyone for the advice
Fence Update.png

if you can run a brace across the tops of the posts, it will improve strength and rigidity, and prevent it coming loose over time.

Nice! If you have off cuts of that feather board I'd use a length to cover the post & spike visible.

Thanks - I do have some cut offs and was debating that actually. I may do it next time I'm there.

if you can run a brace across the tops of the posts, it will improve strength and rigidity, and prevent it coming loose over time.

This is true but one of the tenants is 6.3 and this is around 6" high so he may struggle. Will keep in mind for similar projects though - thanks

Nice job, but you don't seem to have left the gap for the cat. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back