Garden Gate keeper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 heavy garden gates .... they have the typical latches that auto-latch the gate when the gate is closed.

What I could do with is something to auto-hold gate open ,
Some form of catch, when gate presses against I, it lifts then drops over gate holding it open.
Takes a manual lift or similar to release it to.

Assume they exist anyone know of one or what they are called.
I have found filed gate versions and concrete-on drive gate versions .... just need a garden gate vesrion.

Sponsored Links
Normally they need either a post to fix a catch onto, or a concrete pad to fix a bottom hold on to.
you could have a piece of pipe hammered into the earth to present a tube sticking out of the gate and a bolt style bar that drops into it?
A spring holding it down and a string on the gate to pull it free.

what type of gate?
many use a seesaw type catch

It's just a wooden gate ... looking for something that works automatically if you push the gate against it.
In 90-degree open it is up against the house wall

I use magnetic-door-holders.
Long bit screwed into brick wall, round bit on gate.
Note that these are meant for inside so mine have corroded.

This link is to SF, but are also avalible from lots of other places.

Sponsored Links
I've used the auto gate latches to hold gates open, you'd need a post/fence/etc to attach the latch to, works well though

Also the old classic bit of rope/bent bit of wire but that doesn't work automatically!

I've used the auto gate latches to hold gates open, you'd need a post/fence/etc to attach the latch to, works well though

Also the old classic bit of rope/bent bit of wire but that doesn't work automatically!
Can you give a link to the latch you used ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back