Garden gate post bolted to brick wall, now leaning sideways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace a rotten wooden garden gate post. The new post is around 4ft high & is bolted to the end of a sturdy low garden brick wall just under 2ft high.

Brought some 4x4, cut it down to size, drilled two holes into brick wall, used expanding wall anchor bolts to screw new wooden post into wall. Problem is gate has pulled it so it is now leaning sideways.

Happy to take post off wall and re-drill fixings, but problem is cos it's brick I can't guarantee the new holes will be exactly plumb. 2 ft high wall also means the 4ft high gate puts a fair bit of sideways leverage on the gate post and any inaccuracy in drill holes is magnified.

How to fix?

Crappy bird's eye view:

[]H------ []
BB
BB
BB

H------ = gate, with hinges on the left
[] = wooden posts 4ft high
BB = brick wall 2ft high

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
I see yours is a half-height gate so I don't know if this will suit, but....

My gate is full-height and I've added a "lintel" to join the tops of the two gateposts together. This stops them leaning together or apart, and adds rigidity when the gate is slammed or blows in the wind. I don't know how tall gateposts would look to you. my posts are actually square wooden fenceposts.

I also link the "free" post to the next fencepost, with another "lintel" running along the top of the panel. I use decking boards, which are cheap and sturdy.

It's the "hinge" post that has to be strongest, as it carries the weight of the gate (and possibly children swinging on it)

Sponsored Links
Large angle bracket to top of wall will secure it better .

Thanks that'll help keep it upright.

@JohnD yup half-height gate, only comes up to waist level. 2 foot wall on one side, weak 3.5foot wooden panelled fence on the other side. Adding a pair of 7ft tall gate posts & a lintel would look rather odd :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back