Garden Ideas???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden is very open and long. It runs up a slight incline and can be quite windy. I just feel it needs something to break up the length a bit, make it a bit cosier, but havnt the foggiest where to start. I havnt done a lot to it over the years, Just dug in a few flower beds, pots etc. Im on virtually a non existent budget and not very green fingered but love pottering about and am very eager to learn.
Any ideas? :D
(Hope you can see my photos).

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would be tempted to do would be move the pots together into clumps. This will make them easier to water when the time comes, and increase the visual effect of them. Maybe try some more pots, with some at the back raised up so you get to see everything. If you can't stretch to proper pots, try any containers you can find. You can get buckets cheap enough (often cheaper than pots), and with a few holes in the bottom, they do the job just as well. Just remember to put them to the back of your display! You can save on compost (and money, if you are buying it in) by half filling large pots with soil or even broken bricks etc. then topping up with compost.

If you're anything like me you might find it hard to remember or make time to water all those pots, so I would consider putting more stuff in the ground. Plants are generally more tolerant of neglect in the ground. If that slate is just laid on soil, then scrape the slate back and plant; if it's on a membrane, scrape back the slate, cut an X in it, and plant in that.

You can buy plants quite cheap in places like Lidl, and for me at least they often do very well. Just make sure they aren't bone dry when you buy them. And of course seeds can be a good option. Places like Lidl and Wilko are good value for those, and they often have packs of seeds for perennials which would be worth a look. Growing from seed often isn't as hard as people make out, and doesn't require any fancy equipment to get started.

If you have any friends/relatives with nice gardens, ask if you could get plants from them. Many of my plants have come from plants taken by division from friends' gardens. (With permission!)

Clear out an area of lawn and plant apple or other fruit trees.

Wow absolutely fantastic ideas!
Yup ive used buckets before. I often get ugly cheap plastic pots and paint them to pretty them up. At the front of the house ive filled gaps and bareness with huge rocks that ive painted with white gloss.
The back garden pfft, just overwhelms me.
Fab idea bout planting through the slate.
Thanks loads.

Move the shed to the top left hand corner and plant bushes at the rear of the garden to hide from the neighbours.

Also too many pots scattered about makes the garden look untidy,
(my opinon)

Andy

Sponsored Links
You're welcome. Don't let it overwhelm you: it's just a garden. And it's clearly under control. Think about what you want from it (e.g. do you want somewhere to relax, somewhere full of colour, somewhere neat and easy to maintain, something which is productive etc.) and go from there. A great book to look out for is Bob Flowerdew's "The no work garden".

The shed used to be a very ugly pigeon loft that my dad bought from a bloke up the club. It's v.v.old and wouldn't dare try moving it its older than me. Yup I like my pots in clusters, know what you mean.
Ill Def look out for that book. Great help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back