Garden irrigation systems and garden tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have external taps changed much in recent years, are there any new types (premium end) that are worth going for as part of a new house project?

Also has anyone here installed an automatic garden water irrigation system? If so, could you please share your views on it?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
A quality brass bib cock with a wall plate elbow is as good as it gets - with an internal check valve, of course.
Its a good idea to make the system drainable, if frost is a likely issue.
I fitted an auto watering system for a neighbours hanging baskets a few years ago.....a mains digital timer turned the system on as required. The whole thing was coupled in using a Hozelock type fitting, and worked well enough as far as I recall and the water was left on all the time. Being entirely plastic, I'd certainly not want the thing connected inside the house or garage!
John :)

I have a watering system for outside pot plants. The main issue with mine is low pressure; I have too much narrow pipe. if you have more than a few pots you need proper garden hoze size pipe for the main distribution and only use the narrow stuff for the last few feet.

I might have seen a controller that takes account of the temperature i.e.more water on hot days. That seems like a good idea.

I'm thinking of installing a 5000 liter rain water harvesting tank as part of my house build renovation. I'm on a water meter and have a big garden so whilst pay back might be a few years at least the garden will be looked after. I could then connect a automatic irrigation system to it.

Burnerman
Can you pls post a link to Amazon or some other site of the type of tap you are referring to?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Typically, Screwfix 37241 is what you need, together with a wall plate elbow that allows you to fix it to a wall.
Don't go for those self piercing tap kits - absolute nonsense.

It means that there's almost no chance of any contamination running back into the house water supply......people often leave hoses and suchlike dipped into water barrels where bacteria could be and theoretically cause infection. There are two valves in one housing.
Fit a full bore isolator valve inside the house so you can turn things off in the winter.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if it is possible to connect a pump from a rain water harvesting tank to a separate tap which automatically comes on the moment the tap is turned on, I dont need to manually operate the pump?

Depends on the head available - a flow switch would do the trick but would need to sensitive to a low flow rate

Do have you any idea what the available head is?

(Height between the base of the tank and the tap outlet)

Well...it's actually early days still as I'm forwarding thinking as part of my house rebuild project. I'm either going to have access to a bore hole as part of a ground source heat pump installation (100m borehole) or a rain water harvesting tank which will be just below the surface of my patio (so, approx 0.5m to 0.75m) plus another 0.5m for the tab above ground level.

Those are negative heads, so no a flow switch will not work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back