Garden lamp post repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took the post down whilst paving so it wouldn't get in the way of the mini digger.

I noticed straight away if was a bodged up job, done by the previous owner. It was fixed with self tappers and sealant.

The base is presently sealed with plastic bags and cling film.

I now have the task of reassembly, any suggestions ?

33bzvdd.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would try an internal sleeve, something like 300mm long 75mm pipe slid inside.

Sponsored Links
The column was installed with a cable running into the base and jointed with cables to feed an outdoor socket at the bottom and the lights at the top.

I'm not impressed by how it was done!

Is there a route for new cable(s) that won't mean lifting some of the paving?

The existing cable in to the column is in good condition.

I would run that to the socket at the base then run a fresh cable off that to the lights, possible via an IP66 spur switch with 3A fuse, mounted above the socket.

My main concern is getting the column joint sorted out. May well do a pipe insert as suggested above.

The grey T&E goes to the socket.

The white round flex in the top right photo (upper column) feeds the lights.

The white round flex is the columns base, bottom left photo, is the incoming cable.

White flex looks like it might be the inner sheath of a SWA cable, therefore appropriate to the environment.

The cable is underground but I've no idea how it was laid. Presumably trenched.

Haven't really investigated how the cable is managed where it comes in to the base of the column.

From what I can see, it runs in and is jointed to the other cables in the column lower section.

Are you suggesting running a new cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back