Garden lamp post repair

On the matter of the column joint, I'm thinking of grinding away sections of the rib profile on the upper section to allow it to slot in around the bolt holes in the column base and get some bolts tapped in to hold the upper section -

2laestu.jpg

Sponsored Links
What type of cable should be used to supply a garden lamp post?

What depth of trench should the cable be buried?

I think that what they are trying to get out of you, is because it should not be fed in T&E thats buried without protection, it should more likely be some armored cable.

Hence the comments about a new cable run.

Re the actual fitting joint - it looks to me that you are missing some form of collet that goes over the joint,

Sponsored Links
Id be tempted to fill it with P38 car filler sand it and paint it
Is that an extendable lampost where the shaft can be slid up and down

I think that what they are trying to get out of you, is because it should not be fed in T&E thats buried without protection, it should more likely be some armored cable. Hence the comments about a new cable run.
It's really "he", rather than "they" - but, yes, I'm sure that's what he is going on about with his 'pointed' questions. However, I imagine that the OP is interested only in re-instating his lamp-post, rather than re-visiting the question of the supply cable (probably under his new paving!), which has quite probably been there for many years.

When I moved into my present house, I inherited an ~25m run of T+E buried in plastic hosepipe. I became aware of that soon after I moved in, but it was about 20 years before I got around to replacing it with SWA (I was obviously 'in no hurry'!), and even when I did that the (Imperial, so quite old) T+E looked none the worse for its experience (and IRd fine).

Kind Regards, John

The T&E in the photo I posted is connected to the outdoor socket at the bottom of the post, its not the supply cable.

I need to investigate the supply cable.

Its best to have an swa cable for the supply, and at what depth should it be buried?

The column joint was a bodged up job when I took it apart, held together with self tappers and sealant, obviously not the original assembly.

The suggestion of P38 is a good one, although once it's set - it aint coming apart again.

When you think of the torque that will be applied at the joint I'm not sure that any repair will be long lasting.

When you think of the torque that will be applied at the joint I'm not sure that any repair will be long lasting.

You should have seen the state of the joint before I took is apart - a proper bodged mess, yet it was quite secure!

Anyway, this picture shows the notches I intend to make so the upper slides down and inside the base. I can fasten it in with large self tapping bolts.

29w4kle.jpg

Last edited:
I've had time to look at the top of the lamp post.

The three lamp holder arms are plated on to the post but its metal to metal with NO waterproofing seals. There's a screw-on cap that fastens on and lips over the plates at the top but the seal for the cap is really just a bit of furniture foam.

I'm going to take it out - end of lamp post.

Sometimes, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, make it quick and pain free.

There's actually four street lamps that surround the lamp post, the house is on a cul de dac entrance. Apart from the aesthetic appearance, I'm not sure why it was installed!

Thanks for reply posting folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back