Garden lamp post. What cable to use?

B

bushidomike

Hi
I am installing an outside garden lamp post, earthed single 60w light bulb holder at the top of the garden.

My questions are. What cable should I be looking to use? I currently have a twin core with earth and it says Max 13amp for lighting circuits only. The reason I am asking is due to the distance the cable will have to travel. Aprox 70 to 80 feet up the garden. Does the distance make a difference to the type of cable I will need to use?

Also I will be feeding the cable through a suitable conjurite tube down to my garage. I will be wiring this into the lighting circuit in the garage with a one one way switch. Does that sound OK?

Many Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored Links
This should cover everything you need to do for this job:And yes, you really really must know all that if you want to do this sort of job.

But TBH it looks as if you're doing things on the basis of asking here about things which you think you need to know. The problem with that approach is that you'll only ask about those things and you won't ask about things you don't realise you don't know - the old "unknown unknowns" problem. What if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it? Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

That is sound intelligent advice. You are so right. Electricity is too dangerous to mess so I will leave it to an electrician. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back