Garden Land Drain Depth ??/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
As you can see i am in the process of trying to stop the garden from becoming a flood plain, which is does after every rainfall. It is on a slope but i am lifting one end by around 8" to create a level lawn.
I am also going flat out and as its down to the soil, i am installing land drains. Might not need them but i'm trying to create every possible scenario available in order to have a bog free lawn.

Now, my question is, How far do i need to go in order to lay the drain, Its going to be a 4" perforated ducting sitting on a 50mm bed of gravel and covered with another 50mm of gravel. This will leave around 400mm of topsoil then lawn.
So in short i am digging a 500mm trench with a slight gradient. Is this ok or will the turf sink over time. Do i need to go deeper or shallow ????? View media item 465

Sponsored Links
only a thought.

when i wanted to water my old lawn i got fed up doing it, so i brought a soaker hose and a normal hose.

i ran the normal hose one way and the soaker hose T eed off at 90 degrees running down (garden on a slight slope)

I burried this under the lawn

could you not perhaps do the same but in reverese? so the soaker hoses takes the water away to a soakaway?

as i said only a thought.

Good idea, and i did consider it as an option but i think it might be on the small size. My Garden floods at the first opportunity, It rained for about an hour yesterday, we have had no rain for 5 days and following this shower the grass was under water in places.
I'm going for the land drain runs, laid out every 2.5 mtr running to the trees at the back of the garden.
Just a question of depth really because i don't want it too deep or too shallow ?

i forgot to mention, my soaker hose was about every 18 inches

Sponsored Links
Breezer, As i dug out my next trench i gave your idea some thought.
I like the idea of using the soaker hose to water the lawn and i am now seriously thinking of putting one down.
How deep did you lay yours and i guess by your last post it was 18" apart.
Was it one continous run or did you feed different runs.

it was just under the grass (well the soil that sticks to grass if you see what i mean)

I ran a hose pipe across the top, and T off of it evey 18 inches.

I also found out that if you bend the end over and use a zip clip (cable tie) you dont need the expensive end plugs

bear in mind my garden slopes slightly, that is why i ran the normal hose at the top, and the soaker hose went "down hill"

hose.jpg

red dots are T or L piece to connect soaker to main hose

I like what you've done there............ What size garden do you have , Mines 8 mtrs in length and 9.6 mtrs wide ? What ya think ? Run a pipe down the middle and t off left and right at staggered intervals ???
Would the first run get more water than the last run though ????
Dont want to re-create my flooding problem now do i ??

if your garden is level then yes (mine isnt)

yes the first one fills up first then the 2nd etc but because its a soaker hose (and the ends are sealed) they all seemed to have got their fair share of water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back