Garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I went to visit a house to fit in a doorbell system, by the way I have been asked about the garden lights:This is the kind that FWL_Engineer loves... :LOL:
1) The lights are on the ground in front of the house triggered by the security lights sensor (nothing wrong with this one), but one of the bulb (GE par 38 flood, 240V, 80W, Hungary 030913199), is damaged and the rubber seal on the back (between the bulb and the housing) is missing, I tried to get one but I have been told that it is not sold separately but with the housing only, any ideas?, it seems to be quiet dangerous if water can penetrate from the bulb side.
2) As I looked at the bulb housing I found a T&E cable connected to the housing to supply the power, there are 4 lights (different parts of the garden) and they all the same. I thought may be it is only this part of the circuit, but what I found was that all these lights are supplied by A T&E 4mm2, To my question whether the cable in protected (at least), by using a conduit the reply was that there are just under ground so they will not be seen.
3) I looked in the garage at the CCU (garage attached to the house), all the circuits are protected using MCB's, I expected to see a RCD or RCBO for the garden lights. I would expect a SWA type cable put underground according to the regs for this circuit.
I did not say much (I was in shock...), because I don't want to compromise the safety of these people, and will come back to them when I have done my homework.
Please your remarks

Sponsored Links
T&E should not be outside at all

if a cable is just clipped to a wall and is not burried then you can use arctic blue

if it's burried you must use swa

as for that light with the missing seal it should be replaced

i guess the security lights sensor is on the outside of the house
assuming this is the case.

T&E from a dedicated cuircuit (which should be rcd or rcbo protected) in the cu to a double pole switch inside the house near the pir

arctic blue from the switch to the pir

then use SWA terminating it in waterproof pvc boxes with the correct glands for underground links with short runs of arctic blue from the boxes to the lights and the pir

See Albert, it is not just me that believes in the Regs :D

FWL_Engineer said:
See Albert, it is not just me that believes in the Regs :D
I agree, the regs. are there for a reason, sometimes I know the answer to my question but I want to make sure that all aspects are covered as much possible. When I said that I think that you will like it I meant that; you are always very strong about doing the wrong thing, and I thought that this was a good example...
Could you please express your opinion about thes issue?

Sponsored Links
I do beleive that with electricity one should ALWAYS lean toward the side of caution. "It is better to spend a fiver more and be safe, than safe a fiver and then have to pay for a coffin"

That was what an Old spark I knew many years used to say, and Tom was a wise of fella, leant his trade on Merchant ships during the North Atlantic runs in WWII before moving into standard electrical work after the Korean war. If it was electrical, Tom could repair it..we used to call hi Scotty, reference to Scotty in Star Trek :D

Anyway, bettre to be safe than sorry, and we should not forget the REgs are a GUIDE, they are MINIMUM standards, so to exceed them, even by a small amount, is improving safety.

Albert, I would say that a DIY forum is probably not the best place for such discussions, this is not knocking you by any means, just that this is not DIY..if you know what I mean. I enjoy answering your questions, all of them, so would there to be many more, but you may be better using this

FWL_Engineer said:
I do beleive that with electricity one should ALWAYS lean toward the side of caution. "It is better to spend a fiver more and be safe, than safe a fiver and then have to pay for a coffin"

Albert, I would say that a DIY forum is probably not the best place for such discussions, this is not knocking you by any means, just that this is not DIY..if you know what I mean. I enjoy answering your questions, all of them, so would there to be many more, but you may be better using this

As you might remember that I mentioned in the past that I am providing technical services to very sophisticated equipment for the last 30 years, and may be, like yourself, I never gamble and never take risks on my customers back... and more important never lie to them...so I know what you mean and I agree 100%. If you look at the recommended site you will find AKUKLTD, It me, I just thought that it is not ready yet...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back