Garden mains pipe stop cock leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Our yard has two stop cocks in the mains supply feeding different parts of our buildings (old stables circa 1810!). During the Festive period I had to use one for a burst pipe and had a hell of a job getting the manhole cover off.

So over this weekend I lifted all the yard covers to free them off and check what they all did. To identify the main house stop cock I had the missus turn on a tap, turn the outside stop cock off and waited for her to complain there was no water..... Job done, it worked perfectly.

But! When I went to replace the cover later I noticed some water, it seems I've disturbed something in the stop cock and now it has the slightest of leaks. Went back next day and the tap is now covered over with water. It doesn't seem to be coming out under any pressure, just a small persistant sweat.

So I'm thinking now I am going to have to dig an access hole and do a repair, questions are;

Is there something it commonly is?

What sort of a job is it going to be?

Is there any info./diagrams on the web about these valves?

Any tips to save damaging the mains pipe, and creating a huge drama, when I am in there?!

Any regular maintenance I can do to the other stop cocks to avoid this in the future?

Many thanks,

Peter M

Sponsored Links
It's probably just the packing gland on the spindle needs tightening or re packing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back