Garden office - are you allowed to build corridor connecting

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering getting a garden office built
I know that is a subject in itself (which I am researching loads now)

Idea: can I build some sort of corridor so that it connects to the house?

This would then make it an extension to the house which would be great!!

Are there laws stopping this?
I'm just concerned about getting cold going to the office when it gets cold
LOL

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
If you connect it in any way it will be a class A extension not a class E outbuilding. So it might be possible but dimensions will be very restrictive.

Not if the house has an outside back door separating it from the corridor it doesn't. It's just a funny shaped outbuilding.

Not if the house has an outside back door separating it from the corridor it doesn't. It's just a funny shaped outbuilding.
Oh Joe! For it to be considered an outbuilding it must not be attached to the house. There was even a recent appeal to support this, the gap in that case was 2.5cm but significantly, it was not attached.

Sponsored Links
so the answer is no: ur not allowed to have a corridor?

So all those porches and conservatories out there are illegal then?

What about if you dug an underground tunnel. ???

i'm sure u meant that as a joke :p
someone was telling me about a business that makes an office underground in your garden. they make a stairway from the back part and have it leading to the office. i don't know if you're allowed to 'seal' the entry corridor

but the underground tunnle sounds pretty good - except it would be too expensive

So all those porches and conservatories out there are illegal then?
No, conservatories are extensions and porches have their own class. Neither are outbuildings.

What about if you dug an underground tunnel. ???

i'm sure u meant that as a joke :p
someone was telling me about a business that makes an office underground in your garden. they make a stairway from the back part and have it leading to the office. i don't know if you're allowed to 'seal' the entry corridor

but the underground tunnle sounds pretty good - except it would be too expensive

I was genuinely interested in whether the 'connecting' regulation freddy was on about would still apply.

I'd love a tunnel system.

Sponsored Links
Back