Minimum corridor widths?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't find conclusive rules on whether there are regs for corridor widths, let alone how they apply in different scenarios... Found some relating to staircases only?

In our case there's an existing brick built structure 7x3m (old coach house) we have interest in converting to office/living space. We'd likely want a corridor either internally or in small extension among one wall, a lean-to effectively. What rules might apply to this specific facet of the project?

Also... Is there a good book on this stuff which puts the official regs into easier terms?

Sponsored Links
havent got a clue but remember you need to get furniture through and doors to fit if required so would think about 800mm perhaps down to 750mm but just a guess

Indeed that would seem like common sense... I was worried you might have to have width for two wheelchairs to pass ;)

I think there ARE rules on for door widths (750-800 sounds familiar) which obviously sets a limit in practical terms.

Sponsored Links
I was worried you might have to have width for two wheelchairs to pass ;)

I think there ARE rules on for door widths (750-800 sounds familiar)

From page 34 of the above book you will see that there are no rules for doors and nor for corridors.

Like there are none for kitchens, front rooms, garages, coat cupboards, knicker drawers etc.

Hmm I think there are rules on doors, but not drawers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back