Garage Conversion

Sponsored Links
Pal said:
As I said in my first post I have the ideas/knowledge and am not worried about getting stuck in but like to be certain of all the options so as to avoid certain emembarassmen then talking to building control.
Type of flooring,

The cheapest is in order,
(1)Suspending joists with joists hanger
(2)Wall-sleeper with wallplate + floor joists
(3)Dpm + concrete + floor screed
(4)Floating concrete floor

Thanks masona,

Price is most definately an issue.

From a practical point of view, I do favour option two. Once I have coach bolted the two wall plates horizontally I can speedy hanger across, strut if necessary and lay some chip board on top. Sounds easy!!! Am I underestimating the job or overestimating my ability? Hope not.

I'm not getting much feed back about sealing the old concrete garage floor (I believe the slab is approx 10 inches thick). Do you have any views? I will of course talk to Building Control to see what he requires.

Cheers.

Pal

Pal said:
From a practical point of view, I do favour option two. Once I have coach bolted the two wall plates horizontally I can speedy hanger across, strut if necessary and lay some chip board on top. Sounds easy!!! Am I underestimating the job or overestimating my ability? Hope not.
You wouldn't need to use coach bolt + wallplate,instead you can have say 3 sleeper walls + 4"x2" joists on top of it.More solid this way.
I'm not getting much feed back about sealing the old concrete garage floor (I believe the slab is approx 10 inches thick). Do you have any views? I will of course talk to Building Control to see what he requires.
You say you have 9" to play with,so 3" of hardcore on top of your concrete base (you can use pea shingles or 3/4" ballast) then soft sand on top of the hardcore with dpm on top and past the building dpc level on the sides then 4" concrete on top the dpm (take care not to damage the dpm) then finish off with 2" floor screed (sharp sand + cement)

Sponsored Links
Pal this all sounds very demanding work and you asked me if i was serious about my handy work, LOL have you got any pictures of the work in progress, would love to see what all the fuss is about.
I hear the work should only take a week to do but for some reason you have been at it for 4 months LOL.
check out my new pictures showing the works completed so far Pal its coming along nicely. got to go to bed now 20.56 as i'm done in, start again wednesday @ 8 am.

Craigf, you appear to be getting on like the proverbial.

I don't think what I plan it is that demanding, particularly now I have got the roof all but finished, but it is damn time consuming. I know it would only take a week if went at it full time but I'm having to steal literally minutes at a time here and there between full time work and my most important job, full time dad! Also I've used up all my leave this year so expect big strides next April.

I will post some pictures in due course.

Pal

getting on like the proverbial sure am Pal. as for working I was an operations manager in warehousing & distribution but I quit in December, I used to run uk and n/i depots and it was very much hard work, they wanted me to set up and run a third depot in london and run that as well for no extra salary, no way boyo. anyhow I will start to look for a new job when my jobs at home are complete. I have been waiting 2 years to do this work but like you say the main job has to come first. hope to here from you soon.

Here are some photos.

Before
After

I paid for the front to be bricked up (my brick laying skills are not up to this sort of thing) and the window put in (10 year guarantee if they supply and fit).

But I built the roof, all by myself. :D

Craigf, this is what has taken me 4 months!

The conversion looks finished from the outside because I have put up a net curtain. Shame about inside, however I did manage a few hours at the weekend and I am almost ready to sort the floor.

Pal

I haven't posted anything since January but as predicted, I have managed to move this along during the early part of April.

Completed the floor, eventually settling for a coachbolted wall plate down both sides of the garage and speedy hanger joists across at 400mm centres. I found it easy once I had got the level from the hall.

Just need to fix the boards down but the Inspector wants a look under first to see I have fitted insulation between the joists (doesn't trust me!).

I am now thinking about plasterboarding/insulating the walls/ceiling, but cannot decide on wheter to dott 'n' dab insulated boards or batten and insulate between then plasterboard over.

Pal said:
I am now thinking about plasterboarding/insulating the walls/ceiling, but cannot decide on wheter to dott 'n' dab insulated boards or batten and insulate between then plasterboard over.
I would go for dot 'n' dab as you can set it level with a spirit level and no nails hole to fill in.

Pal nice to see that you are still hard at it, I myself came to a full stop as I was approached to start a new job. how sad is that, check out my post for a full update.

Just an update really as another 4 to 5 weeks have passed.

Walls have been dry lined. I opted for the Dot 'n' Dab method, thanks Masona. My Dad came down last Bank Holiday and stayed over night, he dotted and I dabbed! :LOL:

I battened the ceiling earlier and we re-boarded it. All the joints have been filled and prepared.

Building Control have been and are happy with what has been done both in respect of the conversion and the pitching of the roof. :D

I just need to sort a little around the window and I will be ready to decorate, put down a laminate floor and finish the woodwork.

The end is definitely in sight.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back