Garage Conversion

Pal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Firstly I must say what a fantastic site this is. It appears to be a mix of DIY'ers of varying standards supported by a number of knowledgeable professionals willing to share information.

Sorry this post is going to be long but as it is my first I thought I should try to explain my level of competence before going into the reason for joining you.

I like to think of myself as a reasonably competant self-taught DIY'er tackling most things, all plumbing and electrics, plus alterations/partitions etc. I have to say I love it, particularly starting a new project and if it is something I have not done before, researching at the library and on the internet, as well as speaking to anyone I can (I have some contacts in the Building Control and Surveyors Office of the Local Authority where I work). If a job needs doing (and my wife has a habit of continually finding new things including major projects) I will firstly think if it can be done myself before getting the tradesmen in. Although it may take an age to complete, balancing these jobs with family life, I do get there in the end.

4 years ago we had a two storey side extension built. The contractor was employed just to build the structure/floor/roof/drainage and internally plaster. I managed to prepare electrics and plumbing in the evenings as the extension went up, finished off all woodwork, put in a downstairs loo, electrics, decoration and constructed a partitioned en-suite to the first floor bedroom. I have now finished!!!!

Anyway before finishing this project we came up with the idea we should get our front drive block paved and why we are at it, convert our integral garage into a room. It followed that we should change the flat roof above it to a pitched one! How mad is that?

Last June saw a “Marshalls Registered” pavior do a fantastic job on the front drive and I paid him and a brickie to brick up the garage while they were on site. I also paid for a window to be made and put in (Building Notice/Regulation approval obtained for both the conversion and the pitched roof).

I read a number of books before constructing the roof and although there are a few minor things to be done before I can say the outside is complete but I think it looks great and it is certainly watertight!

I can now move inside and this is where I would like the benefit of your wisdom.

There are a number of things inside which are new to me and whilst I have started researching them and have a general knowledge of what needs to be done I would appreciate your views/confirmation that what I am doing is correct (I am sure the Building Regs Inspector will tell me if not but it may be too late by then).

Given the size of this task and the number of different areas that I would like to discuss with you it may be beneficial to break them down into separate threads so I will just concentrate on the floor for now.

The existing concrete garage floor is lower than the hall so I need to raise this up. There are a number of services currently sitting on this floor so concreting is not an option. I actually favour suspending a wooden floor, chip board then laminate finish.

I have been told to put down some membrane. Should this be plastic sheet or can it be liquid sealant. I think painting a liquid would be easier because I can paint under the pipes. If so do I simply paint all of the floor and the walls upto DPC before fixing my timbers to the wall?

Any thoughts, particularly brands/suppliers would be appreciated. I am the South Hertfordshire/North London area.

Once my timbers are suspended I need to insulate between the joists. Again again recommended materials?

I know these questions appear I am using this site for design/specifications but I am sure you will tell me if this is not what it is intended for.

Cheers and best wishes for the new year.

Sponsored Links
when i started reading the post i had a feeling you were from herts....i was right lol, you can concrete over services, you can put denzo(i think) tape arround the pipes, or you can put them in floor trunking, suspended flooring would be loud

AR

Pal said:
The existing concrete garage floor is lower than the hall so I need to raise this up.
What is the distance you need to raise up ? providing you understand if in the future you want to converted back to a garage,the floor level would have to go lower again to a minimum 100mm if I remember rightly.

Thanks for replying.
Hertfordshire, is it that obvious?

The floor level needs to come up about 9 inches. I thought I would fix a plate down each side and speedy hanger across (2.45metres). I think 5 or 6 inch timbers will do it. This will leave room under the floor for airflow (air vents fitted when front bricked up).

Any thoughts on damp proofing and insulation?

Sponsored Links
Hertfordshire, is it that obvious?
yes......dont know why...must be a phychic thing :confused:
what part is it?
anyway, sounds pretty good what you plan, if i understand it you are basicly going to (once its completed without covering on) see what you would if you lifted the floor boards in one of your rooms, apart from instead of seeing plasterbord, you see concrete?
dont know what, if needed type of dpc you need, i would think it would be a plastic sheet type,
btw if your plan of supporting the floor is what i have described above, then it is the correct way of doing it

SS

Depending on your dpc level,if the floor joists is above you can rawbolts the wallplate into the walls and use joists hanger, or you can...........
To be perfectly honest,you would be better off to invite your building inspector round which shouldn't cost you anything as I believe you pay a one off payments for them to come round as and when you want them to.There're 4 ways of doing your flooring ! It would be less hassles if you both come to agreement how you're going to do it,that way your plan should passed without problems.They will also advise you on size of timber etc.........

If they leave it up to you then we can tell you how............

Cheers guys.

As I said in my first post I have the ideas/knowledge and am not worried about getting stuck in but like to be certain of all the options so as to avoid certain emembarassmen then talking to building control.

Perhaps I will call him in to discuss but defo favour coachbolting and suspending joists, as you say the option is always there to reverse it.

Supersparks - Bricket Wood.

Pal

but only just, Luton's official junction is 10, 11 is Dunstabubble, but yes i am just inside Luton

seems quite unlikly to bump into so many people that live so close..

Thats handy, it means breezer can pick up supersparks on the way down to me at Jct 6 to help me finish my garage. :LOL:

Only kidding, that would take away the morbid enjoyment I am having in Doing It Myself. :mad:

Pal

lol :LOL: call us when you do something wrong :d.....not that you would :evil:

I will certainly cry for help from anyone willing to offer it if things go wrong :oops:, but fingers crossed.

I am guessing the regular posters on here are mainly tradesmen willing to share their experience with us mere mortals.

Pal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back