Garden office - wood, block or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am considering building a garden office in the space currently occupied by my shed and some decking. It is surrounded on 3 sides by fences, so I was wondering the best way to build it.

I initially looked at SIPs, but having spoken to a couple of companies, it seems that site is too small as the panels need to be laid flat for the cladding to be fitted before being swung vertical.

My next thought was to use plywood sheets with a wooden frame, which is probably in my skill range, but I am concerned that the sheets won't last for more that a couple of years.

Another option I thought about was dense blocks (not aerated blocks). I think they can be constructed from the inside, but I didn't know if they would be sufficiently weatherproof given that I would be unable to access the outside.

Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Sponsored Links
plywood needs a protective layer like cladding or other similar material
you need to keep it below 2.5m to avoid the need for planning permission

So, if I were to go with wood, I should construct a wooden frame and attach cladding to that, insulate and then put ply on the inside.

In terms of the cladding, I was thinking either wooden tongue and groove (aparently vertical is best) or upvc. Given that I am not going to be able to access the sides to periodically re-paint them, would upcv be a better option?

Thanks,

Carl

Sponsored Links
I've thought a little about this, and saw something on the TV about eco homes, and considered a wood construction with cork, which is great insulation and looks natural, lasts etc. No idea really how practical it really is though!

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/07/29/cork-house-matthew-barnett-howland-sustainable-architecture/

If a shed is well looked after it can last for many years (I think my shed is about 10 years old and I neglect it, and it is still OK!)

I really don't understand the point of SIPS for this sort of building - all they are is insulation jammed between bits of wood. Might as well just build it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back