Which Concrete blocks in the garden

12 Oct 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I am building a Rill (6m x 50cm x 50cm) in my garden. Found some instructions which I am following; these call for using concrete blocks to line the channel in which the rill will be constructed.

The blocks are to line the channel; a butyl pond liner will go over the blocks.

Question: Which type of blocks to use, aerated, medium or high density blocks? From what I have researched, aerated might not be a good idea, since water penetration and frost will damage the construction over time. Cost wise aerated are a bit more expensive, but they all seem to be around the 90p per block mark. I reckon I'll need about 30 blocks.

Also there seems to be some discussion as to the make of blocks to go for. Seems most favour B&Q medium density over Wickes. Any opinions?


Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter which concrete one you use, theyre all much of a muchness. What's a rill?

(the lighter ones would prob be ok but the concs are cheaper)
Thanks for the post.

A Rill is basically a rectangular pond, or shallow channel of water.



DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links