Removing/reducing concrete block in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I was digging over the back garden after removing the old lawn I hit a large concrete block. It was obviously for a sticking a clothes hanger in as there's a hole in the middle. The trouble is, it's about 40x40cm across and over 50cm deep, so a little over-engineered. I would like to remove it, or a least knock some off the top so I can overlay my new lawn.

It's going to need to brute force of some sort, what sort of violence would you recommend to deal with it?

Sponsored Links
A big sledge hammer...of if you have a largish capacity SDS drill, pop a hole in and then bash on in with a cold chisel.
John :)

I removed one of a simmilar size a few weeks ago, my brother had already tried attacking it with a large sledge hammer and pinch bar but barely made a mark in it.
I broke it up with a hydraulic jack hammer, but that's not much use if you don't own one! :oops:

Sponsored Links
I like the TNT idea (not the incompetent postal service after watching last night's Dispatches programme)! Actually something that could fracture the block into a couple of lumps would be quite helpful, but I wouldn't want to split my whole house in two!

I've dug down a bit further and still haven't got to anything less solid underneath. This block will probably weigh a 1/4 of a tonne, so being able to break it would help a lot in getting it out.

It's a pity I live in a quiet cul-de-sac a not one of the main roads which seem to be permanently getting dug up, as I could ask one of the workmen to pop in with his jack hammer.

I agree with the previous suggestion. I have removed two by drilling a small hole, getting a cold chisel firmly stuck with a lump hammer then hitting the cold chisel with a sledge hammer, it does eventually break a piece off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back