Garden patio project advice Please!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to build a patio at my back garden myself, I found some website teaching people how to do it, however, I found some of the instructions are very confusing. Please can someone give me some help here?

The website I went to is
http://www.greenfingers.com/articledisplay.asp?id=504

First of all, I am not sure how deep I need to dig, 150mm or double that?
Secondly, what foundation mix needed to be put in first and in what way, wet, dry..???
Thirdly, it talk about damp proof course and yet I haven't even a clue what it is and what to do with it.

I have done diy myself inside the house but never in the garden, I would appreciate it if someone can help here.

Dottie.

Sponsored Links
Ignore that load of cr@p. Check out thousands of posts on here, using the Search facility, and check out the pavingexpert web site. After loads of reading, I am sure you'll be up to the job.

That site reccommends a fall of 1 in 60, and thats nonsense.

My patio has a fall of 1 in 160 it drains easily and the slope is not noticeable.

I found another site which is a lot clearer. However, it says that the dig need to be 150mm below the damp course, what exactly does it mean here.

Also, the area I intend to convert into patio is about 18m2, and I am on a tight budget, I have checked out some websites for MOT/subsoil for the foundation, the cheapest I've found so far is £100+ for 900kg which only covers about 10m2 for the depth of 50mm, I am just wondering if anyone knows where I can get cheaper M O T for my project.

By the way, I live in Newcastle-under-lyme, Stoke, does anyone know where I can find a tcompany that are rustworthy and sells cheaper materials for my project, thanks.

Dottie.

Sponsored Links
It means that your finished surface needs to be at least 6" (150mm) below the dpc on the adjacent building. 6" is also roughly equivalent to two bricks..

Your dpc is a continous barrier which stops moisture/damp rising up your walls. You'll usually see it as a black line (like a plastic sheet) in the mortar near the base of your walls. The bricks beneath might even be a different sort .. (not too sure how you tell the dpc if the walls are rendered?)

So anyway, take into account the thickness of your slabs, and base layer, and dig dow to accommodate both..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back