Garden Pictures

Wow. This thread has some inspiring ideas. Looking forward to seeing the final pics Halitosis.

Keep em coming!

Sponsored Links
Looking forward to seeing the final pics Halitosis.
Haha - just spent yet another day sieving soil with a supermarket shopping basket... Another ton bag of stones removed and I must admit this is the least satisfying part of the project!

[QUOTE="Halitosis, post: 3466045, member: 222487Haha - just spent yet another day sieving soil with a supermarket shopping basket... Another ton bag of stones removed and I must admit this is the least satisfying part of the project![/QUOTE]

What a great idea! I will try that.

Halitosis, your garden looks amazing! Please may I ask, did you need to apply for planning permission for the excavation work or have any calcs done? One day I hope to do this with my garden (its on a much smaller scale) but in my case it would be more about moving retaining wall back, rather than creating one. hope you can advise¬

Sponsored Links
May I ask, did you need to apply for planning permission for the excavation work or have any calcs done?
Thanks lindos90 - No I didn't need planning permission, but such is dependent on the size and proximity of your wall to neighbours/roads etc. This website should help you: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/fenceswallsgates/
My walls weren't high enough to require professional design but I did a lot of internet research to ensure I did it right. I used retaining wall blocks that required no mortar or expertise, and the manufaturer's website and instructions helped keep me straight. I poured concrete footings 18" deep, ensured the base on which I laid the blocks was flat/level, and (perhaps most importantly) ensured drainage was sufficient as apparently the most common cause of retaining wall failure is water pressure.
It was (mostly) good fun, saved me money, and very satisfying - go for it!

Looking forward to seeing the final pics Halitosis.
Haha - just spent yet another day sieving soil with a supermarket shopping basket... Another ton bag of stones removed and I must admit this is the least satisfying part of the project!

If you have a reciprocating saw (mind you not everyone does) it makes an excellent sieve shaker. Check out the YT for videos...

Here's my builders yard:

DSC_1936.jpg

::Sigh::
One day...

I can beat that

Under renovation

And here's the after pics.

IMG_9380_zpsvsr5bbhr.jpg

IMG_9381_zpsm7mxcpmd.jpg

IMG_9385_zpsft8119ew.jpg

IMG_9386_zpsf8ltojmd.jpg

IMG_9388_zpskvh0ioz4.jpg

Just a bit of final fencing work and done. But its never really done is it. Have just ordered a metal aged from Screwfix, planted 50 trees, ordered 50 more and looking at ride-on mowers. Tiring, but all rewarding too.

All these gardens are AMAZING! i wish i could do such a thing as this, hopefully one day :')

Our jungle:
image.jpeg

So far we have just cleared all the bushes on what would have been the lawn. Hopefully the frost will kill some stuff before we decide what to do with it next year.

There's a log cabin up the top that you couldn't see from the house and the estate agent didn't know it was even there.

And here's the after pics.

IMG_9380_zpsvsr5bbhr.jpg

IMG_9381_zpsm7mxcpmd.jpg

IMG_9385_zpsft8119ew.jpg

IMG_9386_zpsf8ltojmd.jpg

IMG_9388_zpskvh0ioz4.jpg

Just a bit of final fencing work and done. But its never really done is it. Have just ordered a metal aged from Screwfix, planted 50 trees, ordered 50 more and looking at ride-on mowers. Tiring, but all rewarding too.

Looks great, but I'll ask the obvious question. What is the concrete grid for? A cattle grid with a side path for their convenience maybe? ;)

Feeling quite proud of my lawn following such a long hot/dry spell.

Attachments

• 8B3E1A69-671A-4EEA-829D-F283F739C63F.jpeg
    8B3E1A69-671A-4EEA-829D-F283F739C63F.jpeg
    546.4 KB · Views: 514

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back