Garden pond wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like to install a pond with a pump and outdoor lighting, controlled from a weatherproof panel approximately 12 metres from the house. I have a power supply of 2.5mm 3core SWA cable to my log cabin which goes past this pond site.
Never having done this i'm wondering about the practicalities of installing an underground 3 way junction box to feed the control panel. There wouldn't be any slack in the cable (it's 18in deep) and maybe I would need 2 Junction boxes.
anyone had experience of this?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nightmare. Why put an underground joint in when there's another way?

Take the supply from the nearest building.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SWJKT1.html

You can get three way ug.

As you say there might not be a lot of slack, having a two way joint and a three way joint as ug just adds to potential for failure.

What you suggest is do able subject to what the current load is at the log cabin v design.

2.5 mm swa radial is likely* rated at 20 amp, what sort of loads are you using in the log cabin?

* depending on distance, volt drop, installation method.

By installing from the nearest building, do you mean i should put a second cable alongside the one that is already there? That would be a nightmare that I'm trying to avoid. I would have to take up 3.5m of block paving and move a raised bed plus disturb a few metres of established garden.
Maybe I haven't worked out all the details as I ought. What makes the underground j/bow such a nightmare

Sponsored Links
Hi Chri5

Thanks for your input.

The total distance to the cabin is about 20m. Occasionally we use 2 2kw heaters plus a flat screen TV. most of the time it is 1 2kw heater + 1 100w light.

I'm trying to avoid starting this project if it is not practical (or legal) to do so.
I'm not an electrician, I would be employing one for the electrics but I would do the groundwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back