1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Power Supply

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by skybluescooby, 10 Oct 2011.

1. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It must comply with a statutory requirement to be safe.

By far and away the easiest way to ensure that is to use the "non statutory set of guidelines".

I'm suggesting that the OP do the job properly, (which for him will require recourse to books). Do you have a problem with that?

2. RMS

RMS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your the one who started talking about risks, hazards and control measures.

Thats why should should include the workforce, the people at the front line. These are the things that make a good risk assessment.

I would love to see you argue the above through the criminal justice system if things went t**ts! where you work.

The reason people try to comply with non statutory regulations (in this case BS7671) is because complying with these regulations generally means you've done enough to comply with the Electricity at Work regulations (statutory).

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What part of

Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury

do you disagree with?

The difference is that an extension lead is not left out in all weathers, it is not subject to damage by movement of ground and/or slab, it is not fixed to something which might move or blow over and damage it, it is not tucked away where it's hard to see and might get jabbed by a fork.

It is regularly inspected for signs of any damage. (Or at least it is if used by someone with common sense).

It is a bright orange or yellow colour so that it's easy to spot. (Ditto)

Probably not - it's tricky to gland to a buried back box.

You could put a socket on the outside where the cable exits the house, and gland the SWA to that - like the way this switch has been done (put the socket as low down as you can to minimise the run of visible cable).

[​IMG]

4. westie101

westie101

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The main source of the need to risk assess is in The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations. Part of the Health and Safety at Work Act as are The Electricity at Work Regulations.

So show me where it talks about the need to be formally trained to do a Risk Assessment?

Oh BTW note the common theme above, the word WORK! Non of these apply to a private person in their own home!

5. RMS

RMS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes I know.

Read the post again. I never said needed or back this up with legislation. What I did say is that people who carry out risk assessments are normally trained and qualified to do so.

The risk assessment needs to be suitable and sufficient. You wouldn't have a painter implement a risk assessment for working with electrics would you?

Totally agree, but as a professional I am consistent with my approach to safety and compliance with legislation and guidance. After all the people that create it a far cleverer than me.

6. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you had said that at the beginning and not implied the use of pond cable for the entire run then the response would have been different.

7. skybluescooby

skybluescooby

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    theres a lot of things i could have said at the beginning but feared it would be a long post and just get skimmed over.

So if i run up a double socket with armoured cable, how would i go connecting a pond pump to this socket, ie would it need to be buried etc etc as the water feature would probably be about 3mtrs from the newly installed socket

on another note, i was hoping for a qualified electrician to do this work for me but of the 9 i have rang over the last week or so ZERO have bothered returning my calls / texts.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links