Garden Retaining Wall Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need some advice about the end of my garden please. We live in a relatively new house and we have recently moved the fence back around 4 meters at the end of our garden as we have confirmed that we own the land. Now that we have moved the fence back and cleared the mess that was there we can see the extent of the work taht we need to do to make this extra space usable.

We plan on leveling this up and building a summerhouse, but we do need to level it up. If you were to look at our garden side on, the end of it is the shape of a 'V' where it drops off and then goes straight back up the other side where the new fence now is. We expect this used to be some kind of drainage but with new houses all around us there isnt anywhere for this to go. Unfortunately it is not a case of just tipping in a load of hardcore and soil as the new fence at the back is lower than the level of the garden by about 2ft. Also the sides would be held back by the fence and wooden kickboards so not a good idea.

Based on this the plan is to build up a wall around the end of the garden so that we can fill it without affecting the fence allowing us to have a level garden. The wall would be aound 8m wide with the sides being 4m to join into the garden and then be about 1.5-1.8m high. Effectively buildinga big horse shoe shape at the end of the garden. Going to be building it out of dense concrete blocks. Im comfortable with building the wall myself but just need to confirm the footing really. I have read alot online and some say a compacted hardcore base would be ok and allows drainage, other say it should be concrete. Really undecided which would be best? Any advice would be great.

Appreciate your help

Paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back