Rendered 'retaining' wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We've just had a good dozen trees removed by local tree surgeons to the side of the semi-detached house we've recently moved in to. The majority were to the size of the house (30 odd foot sycamore, ash) whilst 4/5 were at the back of the property. Behind the boundary fence is a 'lane' backing onto a car park for a hotel/gym complex. The lane itself is in fact a through road to the customer car park (situated next to a river).
To the side of the house sits an alleyway/ginnel. This is actually owned by the hotel rather than the council....but it's been neglected to say the least (we cleaned it up when felling the trees and putting up new fence).

The previous occupants, rather than getting rid of the trees (the roots had already damaged the sewer pipe which sits on our land - fixed before we purchased) built an 'inner' fence effectively cutting off the trees from the land. To cut a long story short we got rid of them (we spoke to many people - no PTO's etc), had most of the stumps removed and put up a new fence.
What we're left with is the original fence posts (cut down) and concrete panels. None of the neighbours had done this - their gardens backing directly onto the boundary fence which lines the lane behind.

As the lane behind is a good two feet above the garden (as is the alleyway to the side of the house) I'd like to keep the current cut down fence posts and panels and build a short wall just a little bit higher than the panels (they are unsightly at best) - just over 2 foot - possibly 3 foot at most. This will then be rendered and painted white and I'd like to add seating to this - cantileverd which I think would suit well.

Before speaking with the brickie who's doing a wall at the front for us, I'd like to know how I'd go around this:

* would foundations need to be built in front of the current panels?

* could I use high density breeze block? As it's being rendered, block or 'less good looking' bricks could be used to save money?

The gardens next door and on do not seem to have any retaining walls at all, but I'd feel better if we kept one.
The garden as it curves round to the side of the house loses the 'inner fence' panel and the grade of land lessens a little...probably best if the photo's speak for themselves.

There is a garage to the side which is coming down soon and the drive leading up to the garage has the same fence panel (I've added another panel on top for the time being...but the way it was originally laid means it looks all over the place.
I may remove this and put a new retaining wall (again around 2 foot high) up to the new fence and then landscape (shrubs, bushes etc) the land as it grades up to the fence/alleyway boundary.

Pics:

Back of garden:

IMG_0201.jpg

Back of garden curving into side of house (ignore the mess :eek: ):

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Side of house/drive connecting to alleyway/new fence:

IMG_0202.jpg

Side of house towards back of house - notice the fence panel (retainer) missing as it hits the garage.

IMG_0183.jpg

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back