Retaining wall wrt carriageway loading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fence that runs down the side of my corner property with a pavement (~1m wide) and road on the other side.

The alleyway between fence and house is 2.2m wide.

There is a drop of ~800mm from the pavement level to the nominal garden grade.

This has been handled by an embankment and/or sleeper retaining wall with 1m of raised planter.

I want to terminate the planter to the fence where the below image is taken and dig out everything to the left as close to the fence as possible and add a masonry retaining wall.

Question time:
  • What regulations exist for retaining walls bordering a highway, but still within my boundry?
  • My provisional plan was 140mm CMUs, rebar @ filled, does this seem suitable or should I go up to 215? - I figured the 1m of pavement should offset any direct vehicle load spread.
  • I was going to put in a single 32mm drainage pipe down the length of the back of the wall (about 6m) and have a single drainage point through the wall - would this be acceptable?

I will, hopefully, at some point in the future, be digging a pool just inside of this and will need to set the footing ~ 1m deep so they don't get in the way of future excavations.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back