Garden Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We installed a conservatory in the summer and am now in the process of landscaping the garden to suit (actually stoped for the winter).

I want to build a wall across the garden to separate the paved area outside the conservatory from the rest of the garden. The garden slopes up away from the conservatory and one side is about 14" higher than the other. Garden is about 10 metres wide. The "step" would be about 2ft at the left hand side but about 10" at the right. Because of the slope I will be excavating to below the top of the sub-soil (undisturbed) for the paving. so I do not have to go any deeper for a good foundation base (subsoil is sand/clay with large shingles and is hard - needs a pick to excavate)

Intention is to put a dry mix concrete foundation 4" deep just below the finished paving level and build a 100mm wall on that using something like Bradstone Pitched walling. There will be a wide set of steps (6-8ft wide) in the centre of the garden and raised beds either end along the fence encroaching into the paved area.

Will this wall construction be adequate and do I need to do anything else?
[/url]

Sponsored Links
i would definitely beef up the wall to 225mm brickwork particularly as it will be holding back 600mm of soil at one end.

set the concrete a little deeper to help keep 'jack' (frost) off the concrete. also set the concrete at 200mm thick. it is a retaining wall after all.

build it strong and you won't go wrong. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back