Garden room height on sloped land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of trying to build a garden room within PD and I'm going around in circles trying to get sufficient head here right. I've got one last hope othwrwise I'm going for PP.

The room will be 5m deep and 4.5m wide. The plan is to use 7x2 along the 4.5m span. First question would 6x2 doubled up be ok? it's a cold roof

If not and I go with the 7's, I would the run firrings perpendicular along the 5m span from front to back. All this would leave not enough head room.

My garden is on a slope. The back of the proposed build being 120mm higher than the front and it actually goes up to 170mm in the middle before dropping down to the front. My question is, if I take the height from the back of the build, can I run a firring front to back from 70mm down to zero and it not be included in the height. So the back of the build will be 2.5m and front 2.7 ish allowing for upstand.

I've attached a really bad drawing for clarity

Tia

Attachments

• 20240214_195126.jpg
    20240214_195126.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
the highest adjacent point is the datum point you measure from
so read this as the highest natural point it sits on as the point your 2.5mm is measured from
for the purposes off permitted development, it is counted as a a solid box with the maximum being assumed as applying across the whole box as in a wedge shape is assumed to be level with the highest point

OK, so my phone plan would not be allowed. That's that then, I'll apply for PP. Thanks

One last question if like in that drawing I've attached, I dig down the 120 mm difference from high to low point. Will the build height be taken from the highest remaining point or is this frowned upon by inspectors. Plan to build on concrete blocks and then a raft, so would pooling at the base be an issue

Sponsored Links
iff you mean dig down 120mm to give extra head room by sinking the shed then it will comply iff 2.5m from highest point to the side[adjacent point]
assuming thats what you where asking

Thanks, yes, that's what I was getting at. Also that way the front of the shed wouldn't be quite a way off the ground. Just worried I'd create some kind of pond doing it like that

yes that is the problem
dig a test pit dig down say 400mm in the next few days and in dryish weather see if it fills --iff not it would suggest the water table is lower
make sure the cover sheds the water at least 600mm away preferably down slope iff possible

Your probably as easy to apply for pp and build something that you want instead of hobbling the project to stay within pd.

Aslong as your not building something massive your likely to receive pp and if you don't you can always fall back to pd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back