Garden Room Lintel Above 2.4m Wide Bifolds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I'm putting together a materials list for the build of a 7x3m Garden Room & home office/Storage shed at a roughly ⅔/⅓ split.

I've submitted plans to go "up to" 2.9m high which have now been approved. This gives me slightly more freedom with the build.

As per the title we're putting Bifold doors in (2.4m wide). I've hit a bit of a stumbling block with what Lintel to use above them.

Build is timber frame with 2"x4" C24 walls.

Knowing a single 2"x6" C24 would exceed the unsupported span requirements, my initial thought was two 2"x6" bolted together as the lintel, but worried about potential sag under the weight of the Bifolds as they're likely to be top hung.

Whilst I have the height flexibility to go up to two 2x8s or even two 2x10s if required, the approved 2.9m height is a limit rather than a target and want to remain as short as is feasibly possible.

Above the lintel just warm flat roof.

Question 1 - Any comments around whether two 2x6 bolted together would be sufficient as a lintel for 2.4m wide Bifolds?
Question 2 - Would I be better off with something like a steel box lintel?
Question 3 - If so, any recommendations on what height I'd need (100mm obviously being max depth due to using 2x4 for the walls)
Question 4 - Any other options that I might not be considering given the info above?

Much love

Sponsored Links
If I were you I would look at the specification sheet (or ask the manufacturer) of the bi-folding door system you plan to use, as it may well provide information about lintel requirements. I am not going to offer any specific advice because double glazing is incredibly heavy and the leverage when the door is open is enormous so if you are dead set on having top-hung doors I think you need to overspecify the bejeezus out of the lintel or get some rigorous calculations from somebody you can hold liable if there is an accident.

Evening,

I'm putting together a materials list for the build of a 7x3m Garden Room & home office/Storage shed at a roughly ⅔/⅓ split.

I've submitted plans to go "up to" 2.9m high which have now been approved. This gives me slightly more freedom with the build.

As per the title we're putting Bifold doors in (2.4m wide). I've hit a bit of a stumbling block with what Lintel to use above them.

Build is timber frame with 2"x4" C24 walls.

Knowing a single 2"x6" C24 would exceed the unsupported span requirements, my initial thought was two 2"x6" bolted together as the lintel, but worried about potential sag under the weight of the Bifolds as they're likely to be top hung.

Whilst I have the height flexibility to go up to two 2x8s or even two 2x10s if required, the approved 2.9m height is a limit rather than a target and want to remain as short as is feasibly possible.

Above the lintel just warm flat roof.

Question 1 - Any comments around whether two 2x6 bolted together would be sufficient as a lintel for 2.4m wide Bifolds?
Question 2 - Would I be better off with something like a steel box lintel?
Question 3 - If so, any recommendations on what height I'd need (100mm obviously being max depth due to using 2x4 for the walls)
Question 4 - Any other options that I might not be considering given the info above?

Much love
Might be a bit cumbersome but have you thought about a timber flitch beam? I.e. your two pieces of 6" x 2" with say a 10mm pre drilled plate sandwiched in?

Sponsored Links
Bung in a bit of angle iron 150 x 100 x 10

or C section or square hollow section

or a steel box lintel

bifolds need vertical and lateral stability so don’t just think about vertical load.

get bottom hung bifolds not top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back