Garden & Shed Lighting - Ireland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to install some garden pillar lights and a shed light.

The pillar lights should all be run from one switch, and the shed light should have its own switch in the shed.

I understand how to connect the pillar lights so that they are all attached to one cable. I also understand how the shed light should be wired.

My problem is where to get my electrical supply from.

I had intended to tap into an existing lighting circuit at an existing switch, and get my supply from an existing light switch.

I have since been informed that this won't work - as the existing switch doesn't cater for a neutral wire and I need a supply with Live, Neutral and Earth.

I would like to know, if it's possible to run these lights from a cable that runs to an existing socket.

I am reluctant to run it from an existing ceiling rose, as I want to avoid chasing wires around under floorboards.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Sponsored Links
You must fit a FCU connected to your socket as a spur, downrate to a 3a fuse and run your lights from this. If same rules apply over there you must also notify LBA.

It actually breeches the Irish wiring regulations to connect directly to a socket circuit as lighting and socket circuits are supposed to be kept separate.

You can use a fused connection unit, as described, and a 3amp fuse. However it is not normal practice.

An electrician would normally install a new 6 or 10 amp circuit to feed the lights.

Outdoor electrics should also be connected via a 30mA RCD. This would apply to pillar lights. There are extra safety requirements for outdoor electrical fittings as they are outside the house's equipotential zone and also are in a wet environment.

Your socket circuits are more than likely RCD protected if your home was wired after 1979.

Sponsored Links
Back