Garden snooker room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After a bit of advice, considering 2 options for building a snooker room at the end of my garden. It will be a full sized table so need minimum internal room size of 22' x 16' so was thinking of going with a 8m x 6m area for the base.

I am thinking either single skin block, rendered and then baton inside with insulated walls, floor and ceiling and all plastered with a sloping flat roof.

Other option is a log cabin like this one: https://summerhouse24.co.uk/large-g...IPOFVaXBBsMhT4xW-19kpbNRPq8as38QaAuDpEALw_wcB

I can't decide what would be cheaper, easiest and best for value. The wooden summerhouse option with foundations and all the insulation extras etc comes in at I'm guessing around 18-20k.

I'm a fairly competent person when it comes to DIY, and happy to do alot of work myself, but get tradesmen in for certain aspects, and call in trade friends where I can.

I'm know the foundations will need to be pretty solid due to the weight of the building and the snooker table itself, and as I want to be able to use this room all year round I'm guessing an insulated concrete screed floor would be best.

I personally think the brick built building will also add more value to the house due to its more permanent structure, we are also having our current double glazing replaced so I could re-use some of the old windows and patio doors to save money on this build. And I am aware that planning will be needed due to the size of the structure and the proximity to the boundary as I want it as close to boundary as possible. It will however take up less than a 1/4 of the garden.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, if any builders here are in the Colchester, Essex area and fancy coming and quoting for some of this work then feel free to let me know.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, I am also looking to build a snooker room, this after I had a dream the other night of sneaking into my local snooker club and having a game of ILLEGAL snooker. I must have reached the age of mid life/pandemic crisis, the shots I played were very pleasurable.

Back to Reality.
I will have to build the whole thing from scratch as the access to my cottage is through a covered passage to the back of a tall building and my back garden is 1.2 metres above 1st floor level and the only way to get the materials into the garden is over the top via scaffolding.
I wish you luck in your build.

Hi all,

As no one has replied with any actual building tips, I am hoping by bumping this I may get an answer.

I've found a local company that will build a timber framed 6m x 8m building. He's given various option for the base, but I wanted to get opinions on what others suggest. I've asked for the base to be insulated as I want it to be useable all year round.

He has suggested a 300mm steel framed concrete base, insulation then a screed.

Alternatively, a concrete slab, with a 18mm osb and insulation. I personally think this will move around and not be strong enough.

I've done a bit of research and I'm not sure a 75 to 100mm screed on top of insulation will be upto the task of supporting the weight of a 1200kg snooker table, is it likely to crack and break up?

From my research, I was thinking this option...hard-core, sand blinding, dpm, insulation, dpm and then 200mm steel reinforced concrete slab. With the insulation being a high compression load bearing type.

Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions as to what the best base will be.

I think firstly you need to investigate whether or not you need planning permission first.

Sponsored Links
I think I'd go with concrete/insulation/screed personally. Also worth bearing in mind that although snooker tables are heavy, it isn't too much difference to the load a parked car exerts on the driveway or if 10 big blokes each stood in a room on one leg. I don't think you'll have too many problems either way.

I think I'd go with concrete/insulation/screed personally. Also worth bearing in mind that although snooker tables are heavy, it isn't too much difference to the load a parked car exerts on the driveway or if 10 big blokes each stood in a room on one leg. I don't think you'll have too many problems either way.

Thanks mate, yeah it does make sense what you are saying. I'll go with that option then

How did this all go mate, I'm building my snooker room in Basildon, 9mx5.4m. i think I've made my mind up on a concrete slab but still just reassuring myself. Interested to know what roof construction u went with, obviously the span is pretty large.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back