Timber Decking Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I've got a project I'm starting on Monday, which is just going to fantastic if it works. My aim is to build some decking in my garden to hold a full size snooker table (I know there will be people saying don't do it) but I've taken advice etc and its worth going a head.

My area to deck is 6m x 3.6m using 6x2 and 38mm 5" decking boards

It's not raised so will be sited on slabs in each corner with additional slabs every 1200mm

The total weight of the table is 1.1 tonne, plus 2 people, I would allow for a live weight of around 1.4 tonne

6x2 spacing would be set at 400 centres.... Will it hold?

The snooker table is set on 8 legs (4 per side)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, but doesn't really help.. If my maths is right.. It should work out at roughly 70.5kg per m2 (1524kg / 21.6m2). My intention is to double joist at each point the snooker table leg meets the decking. Does anyone see any issues (apart from the snooker table being outside) It will eventually be Roofed over when I get more time in a few weeks

Sponsored Links
As a floor, 6x2 will be fine at those dimensions and with those pad spacings.

The lack of T&G deck will affect load sharing and rigidity, but your double joists will help with that, as will including additional noggins to stiffen up the whole frame - say three across the span with one at each end.

The thing to concentrate on would be the pads, as they would have more potential for individual movement. They need to be deep enough and wide enough and the general area free of wide changes in water content - free draining and stable.

Thanks Woody.. Instead of slabs, i'll probably dig down 2 1/2ft with concrete footings every 1200 or so. Cant wait to have it finished :D

Hi Notch.. No its a standard table, but I've spoken to a few table manufactors and they reckon as long as I give 3 / 4 coats of Yacht Varnish to start then a coat every 2 years, it should be fine as long as it kept water tight. I've had a pool table outside for the last 5 years and that's still looking like new (on slabs, not decking). My plan is to use the old felt and stitch it into a heavy duty tarp with silver foil back bubble wrap to keep the water off and sun reflection etc, and this will sit on top of 4 Marine Plyboard over the table. Eventually a roof will be built over it and sides, but priority at the moment is getting the decking down and putting the table back together, then I can work on the sides & roof before winter comes in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back