Joist Hanger for deck frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just posting here in Building, as someone here might know more about it.

Building deck frame which will be raised slightly at one end due to slope (fence side opposite garage wall is sloping down away. It will be approx 6-8" off ground than the beam attacked to garage wall). The finished deck will run parallel to the garage wall.

Here is the rough sketchup plan;

Using 6x2 treated timber. I was going to be using joist hangers in between the small spans. They are about 1.4m runs. I picked up THM230/44 Simpson StrongTie Hangers from local builders merch (http://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/truss-hanger-mono/326). Just checking if these will be suitable? They did have other ones but they looked a bit more light weight and had alot less nail holes. Going to use Square Twist Nails - (http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-square-twist-nails-sheradised-3-75-x-30mm-1kg-pack/12788)

For the posts on the beams, was going to be using long coach bolts. 2 Per post.

Will this design be sufficent for my decking? No hut tubs or anything going on top! Just will be a sun trap with some seating and a table for BBQs etc.

And on another note. My fence on right side is not square to the other fence. I have layed out the frame and used my framing square to get the corners nice and square, and as you can see the fence is well out. I think its about 3-4 inches out. So I am unsure what is the best way to do this. Do I put the main post beam run all square and add on something to the side somehow or build the frame out of square?? I was planning on putting a 4 or 6" frame for the decking on top (like a picture frame) to make it look nice. I could cut this mitre join to the out of square angle then just cut the last strip of decking at an angle to fit ??? Just not sure how to support it etc.

Help much appreciated. Cheers !

Sponsored Links
For a deck you won't need heavy duty hangers, any will do unless you invite the local Irish dancing collective. And for the edge a 4 inch overhang will be neither here or there, you wouldn't notice any bounce even if you were jumping up and down there.

Im all for over engineering if its only cost a few extra pennies! Regarding the over hang I just need to work out best way to fix the deck on it. Could I just screw a few noggins on to the side from the inside. As you can see from picture I do not really have access on the fence side. I will be using 3.6m lengths, so the there will be no joins in the runs.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back