Garden socket for lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I want some garden lights but they are too far away from my socket. Is it acceptable to run one of those garden spikes with 2 sockets on from an outdoor socket?

Sponsored Links
There are systems designed for the garden Bladon do one, I don't personally like the system, but easy to install and designed for the job, there are also caravan supply posts, and other safe methods, "one of those garden spikes with 2 sockets on" however does not really tell me what is on your mind. Pictures are good.

and used all year round
Not suitable, it is intended for temporary use, not leaving outside permanently.

temporary_rubbish.png

Sponsored Links
Evening, I want some garden lights but they are too far away from my socket.
Then run a permanent cable, of the right sort, installed in the right way, (where "right" depends on your particular environment) from there to where you need it.

Depending on how the socket is wired you nay need to introduce a fused connection unit.

Could i use that metal tubing and attach it to my garden sleepers above ground? Dont want to dig up all the garden/decking. What other options do I have please?

Could i use that metal tubing and attach it to my garden sleepers above ground?
You probably could, but you would have to invest in the tools to work with conduit, and learn how to use them. If that level of physical protection is needed then armoured cable would be easier. With either method you would need a suitable weatherproof junction box at each light unless the lights are designed to allow conduit or SWA cable to be terminated directly into them, which is highly unlikely.

Re extra-low-voltage lighting, take care over what type of supply you use - many electronic transformers have limits on how long the output cable can be. Also (although unlikely these days, I guess) if you use incandescent lighting then long cables will need to be surprisingly thick.

People of a cynical disposition might wonder if the companies selling outdoor lighting don't talk about the practicalities of actually installing them properly, because if they do they know they won't sell as many, but I couldn't possibly comment.

The Solar Centre said:
A well positioned solar panel will enable this product to work in typical UK winter conditions.
I wonder how they define "work" when there have been several consecutive 100% overcast days in December or January?

I'll bet it's not "Will light for up to 18 hrs from a full charge" :mrgreen:

But I expect a lot of people don't care about garden lighting in the winter, as they avoid being out in the garden after dark at that time of year.

.Re extra-low-voltage lighting, take care over what type of supply you use - many electronic transformers have limits on how long the output cable can be.
I recall well the problem of 3 electronic transformers for bathroom downlighters which were positioned in the garage by the CU, a run of some 20m of 1mm² T&E each. one seemed fine but the other two only glowed gently.

Also (although unlikely these days, I guess) if you use incandescent lighting then long cables will need to be surprisingly thick.
Oh yes I have 120W of garden lights, 40W is on 2 runs of the stuff that came with them which don't exceed 6m each, the rest is 20m of 10mm² then 80W spread evenly along 20m of 2.5mm². there is a significant difference in brightness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back