Garden Tap Making A Noise In The House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have attenpted to google/youtube this but all of the issues i find there are people with noises when the tap is off.

History....

Last year we replaced the old dripping outdoor tap.

A couple of months ago my dad decided that the current tap was dripping too much and fixed it.

I wasn't there when he did it but it no longer drips at all.

Instead though, it now makes such a noise when it's turned on, that you can hear it sat in the living room. The noise is similar to that when the toilet refills but louder.

It is silent when turned off.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

I tried to upload a brief clip of it. It made me sit through the uploading process then told me the file type wasn't allowed.

So i will put it on Youtube....

The noise starts 5 seconds into the video.

The splashing noise you hear from 0-5 seconds is the pond return and is not part of the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Dad should be re called to the job to cure what he did wrong. And under no circumstances should he be paid !!!
Probably put the wrong washer in .
But who knows what he did ,ask him maybe .

sounds like wrong washer fitted or fitted loose and it is vibrating, sack dad and get mum to do it

Sponsored Links
....but Mum is ALWAYS right.

Thanks all.

He isnt aware that there's an issue. I dont wanna hurt his feelings. So i'll take it off tomorrow and maybe put a different washer on it or at least check the existing washer is seated correctly.

*Neglects to mention he hasn't a clue where the washer is, nevermind whether its in correctly so rushes over to Youtube to look lol*

Thanks to those that replied. Here's something to make you lol...

Some of the old mans plumbing. Spot the "deliberate" mistake....

And no. It isnt an optical illusion.

20190906_224114.jpg

I reckon it's quite simple.

Have you tried adjusting the isolating valve?

My basin mixer has these and if one is not quite open fully, the noise is surprisingly loud.

I reckon it's quite simple.

Have you tried adjusting the isolating valve?

My basin mixer has these and if one is not quite open fully, the noise is surprisingly loud.
Or the main stop cock if that is how he isolated it. Had a similar problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back