Garden Wall problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. Just wanted to get the theory out the way before i dig a very wide hole. I`m looking a replacing my existing front garden wall with a stone built wall measuring approx 30cm wide and just over a metre high. From the other posts and diy sites. The foundation for this type of build need to be 6 inchs deep and 15cm wide on each side of the wall. The prob i have is the wall has a nearly laid tarmac pavement on one side. don't think the council would be to impressed if i start diggin it up and i don't really want to bring the wall 15cm back into my own garden to accomodate this.

Sure there is a simple way around this or shall i just employ a gang of moles to mine a trench under the tarmac for the foundations.

Thanks in advance as always. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
surely the entire wall plus found's will need to be on your property no matter what.

just allow a wider 'toe' your side to prevent tipping or rotation moment then build on the edge.

hi thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "toe"? And if i build the foundations on just my property wont i end up with a 15cm gap between my wall and the tarmac pavement?

Sponsored Links
build an eccentric foundation, i.e. instead of having a 150mm toe each side go for a 400mm toe one side only - your side.

....thus building up to the edge of the boundary/concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back