Small garden walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a very small garden wall and a a back wall to a small rockery but when it comes to mortar etc I never know what to put in it and what ratio.

The first wall is a york stone pieces, they are 15cm(h)x10cm(d)x50cm(w), they will sit so part of them is below ground level so all in all they will stand about 10cm above ground. Can someone tell me the best way to do the foundations for this.

The second part is using the same york stone pieces I am building a 2-3 level back wall to an enclosed flowerbed. So obviously there will be more weight.

Any help gratefully appreciated then i can go buy the stuff :)

Sponsored Links
Looking at a few books the general thing seems to be just to use cement for the foundations on top of a small amount of hardcore and then the mortar to put the stones on top of the foundations should be 4 and 1 sand and cement.

guess what
icon_edit.gif
does

Sponsored Links
the wall is only low. A small footing about 4 inches deep and just a little wider than the width of the wall will be fine. Just dig a small trench and fill it with concrete getting it nice and level. Dont worry about throwing hardcore in the bottom.

For laying the wall it depends what look you are after, normally 3:1 is fine, but with york stone you can use a weaker mix so that the mortar dries out less grey to blend in with the wall better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back