Garden wall, repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a small exterior wall with peeling paint. Some bits of paint have fallen off themselves, the rest I reckon can fairly easily be scraped off.

I would like to repaint the wall and not sure of the best way to do this. I can see that under the paint is a layer of sand (render?) and under that are the small bricks and mortar.

Is it a case of scraping the remaining paint off, taking off the sand, then adding an undercoat and then a suitable topcoat? I am not sure what benefit this layer of sand brings. It is a little bit crumbly and can be scraped off easily.

Thanks – any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
1) scrape off.
2) fill in where patches of render has broken off.
3) slap on pva to seal the wall.
4) Normal masonry paint (2 coats minimum)

Sponsored Links
Hi

I am revisiting this, wondering whether I can do a bit of work over the Xmas hols.

I attach some photos. These are three bits of the wall where either the paint fell off or I scraped it off. The sand underneath is actually not all that crumbly, actually quite hard to take off. Most of the rest of the wall has a good finish I guess.

Ultimately, I'd like a freshly painted finish throughout.

On viewing these pictures, does the advice above change at all? Also, on Londoner2's reply above, what does fill in mean? Can you recommend a product?

Thanks... IMG_20201222_204840.jpg IMG_20201222_204849.jpg IMG_20201222_204856.jpg

Hi

As a test, I have scraped off part of the wall as Londoner2 suggested - see attached! I am going to practice on a small part of the wall first!

I have got the filler, and some SBR as I heard that PVA wasn't as water resistant.

I am ready to do the filling, but how do I apply the SBR after that? The bottle talks about mixing with sand/cement etc, but now I am getting a bit outside my comfort zone! It's not just a case of painting on the SBR with a brush then painting over with masonry paint?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_112810.jpg
    IMG_20210408_112810.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 42

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back