Garden Wall Repointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a long 30 meters approx. single skin garden wall.

Just had to take a out a large hedge whose roots seem to have had a physical effect on the wall.

I can see:
  • Some cracks through bricks
  • Spaces where little pointing exists
  • Row of bricks pushed over slightly
  • Wall leaning over in places
Want to put in new hedge but before I do, I want to repair the wall as best as I can.

I imagine that as the roots of the old hedge rot the wall may move back a bit more into its original position.

Is it a simple matter of re pointing the wall as best I can with mortar?

Do I need to bear anything else in mind?

Attachments

• IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2909.JPG
    IMG_2909.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2885.JPG
    IMG_2885.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
The freeze/thaw and thermal movement effect on single skin (half brick) thick, unprotected wall like yours is fairly evident and not surprising. What is surprising is the fact that the bricks haven't spalled - mainly due to the good quality of the brick. Looks like the mortar has bore the brunt.
Lipstick on a pig springs to mind, but if you must renovate then it would not hurt to improve the pointing but don't be surprised if the exposed nature of the wall means that it may not last.

The freeze/thaw and thermal movement effect on single skin (half brick) thick, unprotected wall like yours is fairly evident and not surprising. What is surprising is the fact that the bricks haven't spalled - mainly due to the good quality of the brick. Looks like the mortar has bore the brunt.
Lipstick on a pig springs to mind, but if you must renovate then it would not hurt to improve the pointing but don't be surprised if the exposed nature of the wall means that it may not last.

I think the wall was protected by the out of control hedge, which we will be replacing (only with smaller).

If it was your wall what would you do? Am assuming knockdown and rebuild (double skin)? Trouble is this will cost a fortune?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back