Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fence at the back of my garden is slightly higher than the level of my lawn. Theres basically a small slope of earth to bridge the gap.

I'm thinking of building a brick wall only 4-5 courses high to level the gap off and make a flower bed.

My plan is dig the foundations and fill with concete, then bulid up a single skin 4-5 bricks high, 10m long. Will the wall be stable as a single skin, do i need to flaunch the first layer or anything else i need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'd incorporate 'pillar' type constructions every 1.5 meters or so - Basically a single skin of bricks leading to a pilar (1.5 bricks by 1.5 bricks) leading to the next single skin and then another pillar construction another 1.5 meters along the length.

No need for pillars on a wall that high. I would ensure frost resistant bricks are used, though, and think abut drainage behind it (weep holes will do)

for a wall this small do i still need a good 150mm of bricks below ground level?

Sponsored Links
Another question, would this type of wall be ok in F1 bricks or would F2 be better?

Any F rating will be fine.

No need for brickwork below ground just have the footing low enough for aesthetic reasons so you don't see it.

1 more question. The footings, is cement best, or for this height could I use some compacted type 1?

no you definately need a concrete footing, 5 inches thick will do and whatever your spade is wide.

So just to clarify, the wall will be 9m long 4/5 courses high. No pillars required?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back