Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I live in a Victorian detached house next to a dual carriageway. We have a 10ft wall along the side of the embankment with an old outhouse and coal shed attached. Unfortunately this winter the roof collapsed and the gable ends fell in. I've had to take down all the out buildings leaving the wall.

This leaves me with 2 questions and wondered if you guys could help.

Do I need to strengthen the wall and build pillars into it

Do I need to involve building regulations

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Given the height, age & partial collapse of associated structure I'd be inclined to have a structural engineer take a look.

The wall is solid, the reason the gable end went was someone put a window at the end and used a 4" beam as a lintel which completely rotted. The roof rafters were rotten as most of the tiles were broken. We had loads of snow this winter and the roof came down with the weight. This in turn brought down the bricks in the gable sitting on the rotted wood.

If the wall is a completely separate structure from the now collapsed out building(s) then no issue - if the outbuilding(s) were an integral part of the wall then worth getting the structure checked

Sponsored Links
Guess your right mate, I think the the outbuildings were built integral to the wall. I haven't taken those down yet so we'll see. The wall comes straight off the house. Will have to get someone out to look at it. Thanks for the response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back