Garden Well - Overflow

Sponsored Links
The well looks to be dry, or at least doesn’t look like the water is at the same height.

have you got a Rightmove link?

I want to! What is the reason you say this? Costly to fix/change? I guess its been like this since 1929.

I was looking after a property that had a very high water table, with a flooded garden every winter, in the end the house had to be underpinned and when sold the house was devalued by a large percentage.

Andy

If you have badgers then before you do any work that may interfere with their way of life you have to get an assessment done, its a real PITA

Sponsored Links
Level has been like that for a few days since last weeks storm. Will go round this week to see if it has drained. New pics hopefully higher res, plus one from the summer to see it without the water

I see now where I got the idea of it being natural - It's an enclosed space, with it seems no drainage and water run-off will naturally collect there. I would bet it fills up every time there is a lot of rain over a short period. I would be tempted to make a hole in the side of the well, to let it drain in there.

I was beginning to wonder if the well was the drainage point. Maybe it should have some 'weep' slots around the base to allow drainage when it rains and these have become blocked with debris.

Had a look today! wow, still for the rear water around the well but its expanded in other areas on the property!

Going back to a previous comment this land is actually quite high compared to the surrounding area.

Seems the pond has turned into a swimming pool
upload_2021-1-29_15-4-24.png

Back garden is sopping
upload_2021-1-29_15-5-10.png

Front garden and driveway is the same
upload_2021-1-29_15-5-38.png

Well both sides have had changes, to the right the old house knocked down and completely rebuilt and to the left a large side extension. Nothing on the searches suggest its a flooding risk, but it doesn't look good does it! Its mentioned in the sellers notes that this can happen, so its obviously been going on a very long time.

That doesn't look good at all. At the very least it looks as if it will need some drainage systems putting in place. I had similar problems with my drive following an extension. Took 2 large soakaways and remedial works to cope with the water flow. Still not 100% following heavy rain but a vast improvement on what went befor

I just had some reports through which were created when they had some issue with the drains. Looks like clay. I need to read up on what this data actually means.
upload_2021-1-31_15-2-43.png
upload_2021-1-31_15-3-26.png

It also looks lie they have tried to dig quite deep trenches around the lawn, the wife nearly lost her wellie in one!
upload_2021-1-31_15-5-41.png

I just had some reports through which were created when they had some issue with the drains. Looks like clay. It also looks lie they have tried to dig quite deep trenches around the lawn, the wife nearly lost her wellie in one!

These should be ringing alarm bells for you.

They know they have a problem, otherwise why was the bore hole done???

Andy

I hope the property is cheap enough to warrant the risk.

The problem is, if you do buy, and have all this information available you won't be able to make a future insurance claim for subsidence because you've known about the issues.

These should be ringing alarm bells for you.

They know they have a problem, otherwise why was the bore hole done???

Andy

The OP suggested it wasn't a particularly low spot, so there is potential to let it drain naturally, it just needs a drainage plan. The clay is water proof, so what is downhill of the place?

I'm on clay too and it can make drainage difficult short term, but dealing with it is not impossible. I used to get two or three inches of water trapped on the lawn at the back of the house, the lowest spot and it would stay there trapped for days after a heavy downpour. A bit of gravel, a bit of pipe and a French drain and now - despite still collecting, it has gone within an hour or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back