Gardtec 300 series bell tamper fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative has an old Gardtec 300 series house alarm (control panel says 300 series on the PCB), RKP is a LCD screen with LED lit number pad, it's somewhere between 15 and 20 old. Fairly basic, but has worked perfectly up to now. I've replaced the backup battery twice and adjusted it a few times for them over the years, so I'm reasonably familiar, have all the codes, including engineer.

It has developed a tamper fault in the external bell box, I can't get up to check as it's incredibly high up on an old property. I suspect the tamper switch has failed due to age. I will replace the bell box with a newer model for them when I can borrow a longer ladder, but in the meantime need a temporary fix so it will at least arm correctly internally (it has an internal sounder which is working).

The 6 SAB connections on the control panel are: SAB Tamp, Bell Hold, + and - for bell power and two final connections for the strobe.

Can the SAB tamper be shorted out temporarily until they replace the bell box? If so, which connection does the SAB tamper need to be shorted to to close the circuit? And will it require a specific resistance across the two, or just shorted?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I went over today to see if I could fix it as it turns out a helpful neighbour disconnected the SAB completely, this resulted in it ringing for 10 mins last night, as obviously the power was disconnected.
So today I've shorted out the tamper to the negative terminal and the tamper fault has disappeared. Then I've reconnected each connection one by one back to the control panel, leaving power until last in this order: the 2 strobe connections, tamper, bell hold, negative, but the second I reconnected the positive connection the SAB starts sounding until I disconnected it from the +ve. I still haven't sourced a ladder high enough to replace, so I can't access the SAB directly.
The alarm now works perfectly with the internal sounder, it arms and disarms perfectly, no error on the keypad, but obviously the external SAB doesn't have power.
Any ideas? Does it just need the engineers code, or is it more complex?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just replace the bellbox ....
Will do when we can get hold of a 3+ storey ladder (and someone with a head for heights)! In the meantime I just wanted a quick-ish fix so they are semi-protected...
When the power is reconnected to the SAB it rings constantly, if I find the engineer code and reconnect will this fix it, or will it always sound unless reset inside the SAB?

Depending on age it may be water damaged sab unit , took one out this week was green and furry...lol

Depending on age it may be water damaged sab unit , took one out this week was green and furry...lol
More than likely the problem it's an old system, I do love heights :(

So if I get and new SAB and reconnect matching the connections directly, is there anything to do before installation, do I need to put the panel in engineering mode, or just kill the power/battery before connecting the SAB (it won't then start going off immediately after powering back up will it - like the current one?).

Last edited:
Does the SAB ring when you have shorted tamp to bell hold?
Disconnect +ve on the panel and install the bell, reconnect +ve and bell should power up with no sound then test making sure all tamper switches are closed on the bell and panel.
What bell are you going for?

Does the SAB ring when you have shorted tamp to bell hold?
Disconnect +ve on the panel and install the bell, reconnect +ve and bell should power up with no sound then test making sure all tamper switches are closed on the bell and panel.
What bell are you going for?

I didn't try shorting tamper to the bell hold as I thought it was supposed to be shorted to -ve as per sparkymarka posts above...
So, at the moment I've shorted the SAB tamper to -ve, and it clears the tamper fault, and the system can be armed and disarmed. But the power is still disconnected to the SAB, the moment I reconnect the power back to the SAB it rings constantly. As yet I haven't used the engineering code I've done everything with it usercode disarmed (they are looking for the manual with it in).

However, I'll try shorting the tamper to bell hold instead as you suggested if I can get over there one evening this week.

If that doesn't fix it short term, I thought something like a Texecom Odyssey type? (I'm spec'ing up a Texecom system for my own house).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back