Bell box temp connection & tamper circuit query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to temporarily connect a pre owned 2017 bell box to ensure it's operational but via a 12v Battery.

Can I do this via a 12v Car Battery or must it be from a traditional 12v 1.2Ah Alarm type Battery ?

Once I connect the H+ Pos & H-Neg onboard inputs from the Battery, while both the back plate & lid tamper switches taped closed, can I activate the Sounder and LED Strobe unit by providing both the Sounder (R-) & Strobe (ST-) screw terminals with a Negitive feed taken from the Battery ?

Once the Sounder & Strobe are confirmed operational as described above, with trigger inputs removed; will releasing either one of the taped closed Tamper Switches activate the Bell Box Sounder & Strobe (lid still off).
On this current set up, with the 12v Battery, would such an activation take its power from the Battery or the SAB Unit; I would assume, in normal circumstances, it would take its power from the AC supply ?

Currently, the Black Neg wire from SAB Capacitor has been cut but when reconnected while both Tamper Switches are open, the LED Strobe scans left to right a few times then stops, then the two comfort LEDs, which are seperate from the Strobe LEDs, begin to flash left and right; but the Sounder doesn't make any noise, not even a chirp ?

Within the Bell Box, there's an onboard screw terminal labelled TR, is this for an output Tamper Return signal via the Bell Box Tamper Switches to the Control Panel ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your are wanting to test this bell box before you install it then connect to your control panel by a short temporary cable at the control panel.
The flashing LED'S can mean different things on different make and model.

I forgot to mention; I haven't got a control panel, otherwise, I would connect to a panel to test.
I want to confirm its operation before mounting & once confirmed, will affix to wall as a visual deterant with cable connected within, whilst I source an Alarm System.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any 12 volt source will do, but if it's a car battery use a fused connection, not more than a couple of amps.
If there is a short in the bell box, without a fuse to blow you are going to find it quite exciting.

Any 12 volt source will do, but if it's a car battery use a fused connection, not more than a couple of amps.
If there is a short in the bell box, without a fuse to blow you are going to find it quite exciting.
I used to install car alarms and immobisers for a living, so incorporating a fuse on the Positive input goes without saying, so to speak but thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Any opinions in regard to the other questions asked within my first post ?

Ok wire as following
Black -
Red +
Blue bell trip
Green strobe
Yellow tamper return
Close both tampers
Put red on battery +
Put black on battery -
All,should be ok
Touch the blue wire to battery - it should sound
Touch the green wire to battery - it should flash
Touch the yellow to blue wire ....this should ring as the tamper return is a -

Any issues post picture of bell box terninals

Ok wire as following
Black -
Red +
Blue bell trip
Green strobe
Yellow tamper return
Close both tampers
Put red on battery +
Put black on battery -
All,should be ok
Touch the blue wire to battery - it should sound
Touch the green wire to battery - it should flash
Touch the yellow to blue wire ....this should ring as the tamper return is a -

Any issues post picture of bell box terninals
Ok, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back