Bell box tamper for two bell boxes

Sponsored Links
My original question was:
Is there a way of wiring the return from each bell box to the control panel such that tampering with either of the bell boxes will cause a tamper alert at the control panel (without directly triggering either bell box)?

With a single bell box you can get the following behaviour:
1) Cutting the supply to the bell box causes the bell box to go off on its own.
2) Tampering with the bell box causes a tamper fault at the control panel. The control panel then triggers the bell box if the system is armed.
3) If the tamper switch goes open circuit for some other reason e.g. corrosion, the bell box will only go off if the system is armed. It can be silenced by disarming the system.
4) The bell box remains silent while it is wired up and the cover put in place (provided the Hold+ and Battery+ are connected last).

I'm aiming to get the same behaviour with two bell boxes, without any extra switches or change to the way the system is armed / disarmed. The most simple way I can think of is to move the wire from the tamper switch and connect it to the sixth core in six-core cable. I can then connect this to the return from the other bell box, isolating the bell box tamper circuit from the rest of the bell box circuitry.

no still wont work

how does connectin the tamper switch to one wire going to do anything? it doesnt.

the first drawing you showed is how it should be done, (asumning there is enough current available) any other way involves relays and more cost. the worst that can happen is the sounders operate for 20 mins, do it as it should be done

Original post -
"This should allow me to silence the alarm if there is a fault with the bell box tamper switch. "

How would you know there was a fault with the bell (?) box tamper switch?

Even if you manage to do it the way you think is right it WILL NOT stop the sounder, sounding under all tamper circumstances.

In over too many years in this business I could count on one hand the number of tamper SWITCHES that go wrong, they just don't do it, but, when the SA Module gets corroded / damp etc AWAY IT WILL GO. - even that is a tamper of sorts

Sponsored Links
Did you manage to get this working ok? It sounds similar to the method Texecom recommend for their Odyssey series, which works precisely how you describe on my system. (2nd sounder is powered from an additional PSU).

two_sabs_texe.JPG

So, if the 2nd sounder is powered by another PSU, that drawing is wrong, there is no additional PSU shown.

To where is the 2nd PSU connected?

To A on the second unit (obviously removed from the first unit) and 0V.

The method Texecom recommend appears to connect both bell triggers (B) to the control panel in parallel. It also connects the bell box tamper switches in series between MSW1 on the first box and MSW2 on the second box. I assume MSW1 connects to terminal C and MSW2 connects to 0V, so the result is the bell box tamper switches are connected in series between 0V and the control panel -VE tamper.

This is the same as the change I made to my bell boxes. It means that tampering with either box will send a signal to the control panel. The control panel will then trigger both bell boxes if the system is armed. Note that you need to disable the Self-Activating feature in both boxes, so that the bell box tamper switch does not directly trigger the sounder.

I recently added a couple of mini CCTV cameras to my units. With the system disarmed I was able to remove the bell box covers without either bell box making a sound. The internal alarm was triggered, but was quickly silenced by entering the user code.

To A on the second unit (obviously removed from the first unit) and 0V.
Ah, I know that, you know that, but if I had not asked the question anyone looking at the picture and reading your post would not and I would suspect connect the PSU in parallel with the panel 12v

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back