Gargae Conversion Process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am an amateur at this building game. I am shortly going to be taking on a garage conversion in my new house. The garage has a sloped concrete slab and is single skinned apart from the 2 sides attached to the house. I will be knocking a new interior door through, taking out the garage doors and bricking up with window, building a stud wall to the outside and front walls, installing a suspended floor and ceiling. Could anyone tell me which to do first? The floor (suspended on joists) or the wall (stud). I will be getting a contrator for the electrics, brickwork, glazing and plastering. The rest i will be doing myself. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the garage integral or does it have its own flat/pitched roof?

We would try and get as many things done internally as possible before bricking up the front.

You could even do the knock through then seal it off with a ply sheet etc.

The flat roof will need to be brought up to spec.

The simplest flat roof design is a 'warm deck' system as this requires no ventilation. However it may mean you having to re-felt the roof.

Otherwise it is a case of insulating from below then venting each individual joist run.

Sponsored Links
I'd do as much of the internal work as possible before blocking up the door

Thanks for that. Do you know if i would do the suspended floor first or the stud wall? Seems people have different ideas on this.

Do the floor first. Make sure there is a solid floor joist to carry the stud wall.
Are you going to fully fill the flooor with foam board insulation or are you going to ventilate the floor space?

Fix the vertical studwork next.

Get it piped up for rads and then get it wired.

Fit insulation, v.c.l. (vapour control layer) then board up. If you use foil sided insulation board, tape the joints with foil tape and also use foil backed platerbords. This should be enough to do without a separate v.c.l.

Thanks fro your reply. I will lay insulation boards in the floor on top of dpm.
Do i fix a bottom plate for the stud wall to the floor joists?
Im going to use electric underfloor heating to save space.
Do i attach the stud battens to the brick wall? Or leave a gap? Also do i put a dpm against the bick wall first. Thanks.

I'd do the stud wall first, and then drop the floor in (hung off the stud wall), as then it would all be a bit more rigid, but I suppose it does not matter.

However, it it made the difference between buying 2.4 floor joists, or 3m joists and having off cuts, then it might.

Also consider polythening the existing wall first and lapping this over the floor DPM

Fix the stud wall top and bottom only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back