Gas and water pipe distances??????

When i did my part P it was 150mm from gas pipe to any electrical point of connection e.g consumer unit,junction box,socket outlet,etc

and 25mm from any cables.

The main point being is that it should be, not must be!.

As far as water carrying pipes there is no set distance other than you shouldn't have cables touching or run alongside pipes which may get hot.

If gas pipes are buried in walls and protected then the distance is not specified.

Sponsored Links
snb - no, they just got it wrong!
AS I said, the ACS centres tend to get it slightly wrong because the CITB and VIper books are slightly wrong. Unless there's some sort of variation being applied which I don't know about.
They don't cover water of course.

At "my" ACS centre we have the standard board with a pipe right next to a bit of conduit, which is actually OK. But everyone says "too close" and I'm tired of pointing out that that isn't what the BS says. Point being that the conduit is an insulator.

The bit in the BS which surprises everyone is 150mm from eg a light switch

Nobody seems to know the origin of these dimensions, but we think they originally came from the electrical regs side.

Chris R

I was quoting from the 16th edition electrical regs

As far as the pipe in conduit is concerned the same applies from the electric regs.

Sponsored Links
Sorry snb, I misread you completely. Time for bed!

But do they mention extra insulation, like plastic conduit?

the gas reg mentions 150mm from a fixed electrical outlet or switch and 25mm from a cable because of the chance of a spark jumping to the gas pipe and causing a hole to be burnt in the pipe which will cause a gas leak and/or explosion, there is no chance of this happening with a water pipe and the issue of hot pipes touching and melting a cable must be covered somewhere in the water or electrical regs, the gas regs say these dimensions should be maintained but if not possible then the gas pipe should be suitably insulated, therefore to comply you simply need to wrap the gas pipe in insulation tape. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back