Gas boiler intermitent ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideal Elan2 gas boiler sparks up, runs for a few minutes then cuts out and won't restart until a few hours. Switching off/on at wall socket CH & HW lights on programmer are on, No indicator light showing on the on/off boiler switch next to Hi/ low switch. No pilot light, no ignition spark.
New PCB (6 months old), previous contact switch on PCB burnt out.
Pump spindle is rotating when boiler does fire up.
Can anyone tell me What do I check next?

Thanks in anticipation of your response

Sponsored Links
Room stat set to max, digital programmer CH set on constant,CH light on programmer but boiler won't light. Set HW on programmer to constant boiler fires up (but only for a few minutes) So I guess I have hot water but only for a few minutes
System bled, no air locks..... :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev,
I had tried the Motorised Valve before by moving the lever by hand it was moving across ok and returning back to auto, so had discounted this.
I have now secured this in the manual position turned boiler on, no ignition when prog set to constant calling for CH. Boiler comes on when set for HW.... rads now getting hot....
Slower than usual. Would that indicate both the pump and the MV have problems?

:confused:

take the actuator off the valve and make sure it moves when you select hw only or ch only the lever locks it mid position so its splitting the load :)

I removed actuator from 3 port MV, this does not move when CH or HW selected but does move manually.

:) Cheers, all sorted so we have got heating again. It was the MV, hard to operate. Replaced both MV and actuator.

Thanks for the advice Kevplumb

:) :) :)

You psychic then kev without original post mentioning it you guess it has a 3 port motorised valve (2 two ports more common) with a removable actuator . and the response from a diyer is not to ask what an actuator is but to remove it staight away and start using a term like MV which the pro`s use . also 3 answers within a couple of mins 0f question being asked . surely my suspisions are wrong and your not feeding questions to your self

well off the mark m8 3 port more common up here
never took that much notice
:)
add the fact that it wouldnt be the first time id dived in and regretted it :oops:

Kev

The next question will cost more £...

Can I have that fiver now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back