Potterton Suprima 50 not igniting. PCB or Gas Valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Suprima 50 has started playing up this week.

When the boiler comes on, the fan spins up but no ignition is attempted. Its not that its sparking (clicking) & cant light the gas; there's no click/spark. It just does nothing with the fan spinning & the green light flashing. After a while it does lock out & the red light flashes but that can take minutes rather than a few seconds.
Usually resetting the unit clears the fault & the boiler lights up normally (usually first time on the first click/spark - so that seems to work fine)

So, could this kind of fault be related to the PCB or the Gas Valve?
I was wondering if it was the gas valve which was not supplying gas to the burner thus the boiler wasn't trying to ignite as there was no gas.
Or is this likely to be the PCB playing up. I've replaced the PCB in the past (about 4 years ago) so replacing it again isn't an issue.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
But isnt the PCB on the Suprima 50 just a straight swap?

Like I said, I've replaced my board in the past like for like & it worked like a charm. No noise issues, no firing problems.

The old boilers are a straight swap.

However they are no longer available as a new part as they have been modified to be more reliable ( and expensive ).

The new ones have a new wiring harness which needs to be fitted into the combustion chamber so an RGI is required.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'm not planning on getting a new one, I'll get for a refurbished one that has a years warranty & can be fitted like for like. This is what I did in the past & it required no modification to the boiler or wiring harness.
So, does this sound like a PCB fault?

No it doesn't sound like its the PCB but you will need an RGI to test the other components in the ignition sequence.

Hi - I have a Potterton 50 HE - Its been in since 2005 so i cannot complain in regards to reliability - although its starting to intermittently lock out - generally it was coming on in the morning with no issues, and only locking out in the afternoon when it came on....once locked out i would reset and it would fire second attemp every time.......although today it never fired in the morning.....reset and it fired. The fault light is indicating ignition error....any ideas? im thinking of replacing the spark ignitor and or the spark lead.....do you think it could be the PCB as well? any help would be appreciated - thanks

Attachments

• spark.jpg
    spark.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi - I have a Potterton 50 HE - Its been in since 2005 so i cannot complain in regards to reliability - although its starting to intermittently lock out - generally it was coming on in the morning with no issues, and only locking out in the afternoon when it came on....once locked out i would reset and it would fire second attemp every time.......although today it never fired in the morning.....reset and it fired. The fault light is indicating ignition error....any ideas? im thinking of replacing the spark ignitor and or the spark lead.....do you think it could be the PCB as well? any help would be appreciated - thanks
you have just Hi-Jacked a 10 year old post about a completely different boiler, if you want the correct advice please start your own post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back